Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How to select streamer sizes.

From Altoona/Smoke Run
My smallest streamers are size 8 buggers and even then I gotta have a bead head on them or I feel out of my element.

Six is my go to then i go up as the water gets darker or as the sun goes down. Then the big guns come out. My cousin fishes the little J quite a bit after midnight. He spin fishes with rapalas and crank-baits/jerk-baits that most guys would consider bass lures (in the 4-6 inch range) and HAMMERS fish over 16 inches til daybreak. he does make some minor alterations by replacing the trebles with singles that he pinches the barb on. I went along with him twice using big streamers and i caught big fish, but he caught way more and I also caught some 9-10 inchers. His were all bigguns. I now have a 10 ft 8 wt and tied some bigger, heavier streamers so I can't wait to try it again. I couldn't believe how many big fish we caught. This was not down in the pellet hog trough either. I fished this same place in the daytime with smaller buggers and nymphs and didn't get one over 12, but once the lights went out the babies went to bed. I will ever be scared of a streamer being too big, especially in low/no light conditions.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 16:36

I spent thirty years being a streamer nut and learned somethings by trial and error..
Going up to 1/0s reduced the number of trout caught[nite or day] but did NOT decrease the average size one whit.
I am not going to go to the mat over this but honestly believe the "bigger is better" crowd haven't tracked their results to validate this.
The other thing-in my case moving up to ten pound tippet from eight reduced the catch noticibly.
I didn't mic the mono unfortunately.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 16:45

From LV
Build it bigger and you will catch bigger fish.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 16:58

Just my personal experience with montana browns over 4 pounds and a few bows in that range also,Chaz.
Going up to 1/0 from 2s resulted in less catch but no difference in average size.
others experience may differ but the fly shops out there pretty much agreed there was nothing to gain size wise by monster flies and a loss in numbers of fish taken.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 17:55

From Altoona/Smoke Run
I saw some guys on the oak in Western NY using 1/0 streamers. But what they were doing was not what I nor anybody here would call fishing. I agree with pete and alter my statement. I think what most people think too big is not too big (size 4/2 even some articulated streamers).

Posted on: 2011/4/23 11:34

From Clinton County, Pa.
I tie many streamers and buggers on smaller hooks. Mostly size 10 and 12. I have tied down to size 14 and they work just fine. They are easy to cast on smaller weight rods too.

Posted on: 2011/4/23 21:06

From Lehigh Valley
I go to Maine and fish both Rangeley and Moosehead areas.i was fishing the Rapid one day and a fellow and i got talkin about streamers since he asked what i was using i showed him a size #4 Black Ghost tied on 8 xlong shank,he pulls out his streamer wallet and has some streamers on a 10 xlong #2 streamer hook,darned streamer was pushing 5 inches maybe a whisker longer.I said you don't actually catch anything here with that do you,He had a pic in his wallet with a grey ghost that size and the biggest brook trout i have ever seen in the wild what a fly what a fish.
i have seen small brown trout in larger brown trouts mouths on the lil lehigh from time to time.If you want to get bigger ya gotta eat ,and brownies like to eat even if its one of their own.
i was helping Rod out one time with a Lefty Kreh class and lefty is showing how to cast/fish the clouser half an half below the shop opposite side of the creek,out of no where this big brown charged and grabbed his fly...there was no hook on it he had cut it off earlier that trout was as big if not bigger than the upstream hatchery browns and it hel on till he brought it to the bank,the fish felt the bank and let go of the fly like in a cartoon back in the drink he went,then lefty showed the class the fly with no hook.Go figure that was impressive.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2011/4/23 21:41

Take this for what it's worth, but I catch plenty of salmon & steelhead on sz 10 long shank egg-sucking leeches and buggers, as well as trout, so I think anywhere from size 6-12 should be a good size for PA trout.

Posted on: 2011/4/29 15:41

What previous posters say is true: if they can fit it in their mouth, they will try to eat it.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/4/30 10:34

Quote:

midnightangler wrote:
What previous posters say is true: if they can fit it in their mouth, they will try to eat it.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Thats a great photo!

Posted on: 2011/5/1 21:07

thanks drews. some days those little guys just can't say no.

Posted on: 2011/5/1 21:13

From Tailwater USA
I have caught plenty of fish on all sizes of streamers You can't go wrong with a size 4 for most situations. #2 for really high off color water and size 8 for lower water conditions. Also it is not only the size of the hook but how the fly is tied. You can tie a size 8 fly on a #2 hook by tying it sparse.

Posted on: 2011/7/27 9:43

From Altoona, PA
Even if a fish can't get the fly in it's mouth, it'll still take a swipe at it. Just make sure the tail is in proper proportion. If it's too long you;ll get "shortstrikes".

Posted on: 2011/9/5 16:04

From around boiling springs
i personally tie all my streamers in either a size 12 or 10 these all being some form of the Micky Finn . for buggers i will go up to a size 8 along with my bunny leaches . the reasoning i keep them so small is that i can roll cast with ease which i have a problem with larger flies. that being said i've done rather well with the smaller sizes

Posted on: 2011/10/7 0:30

Tie them big, medium, and small. To keep it simple, you could probably have 3 sizes of streamer hooks, to cover those 3 categories.

There are times when trout will hit real big streamers. But there are other times when smaller streamers will be just the ticket. I saw this about 2 years ago when fishing with a friend on a brook trout stream. The water was cold and cloudy so they weren't hitting dries. I was using medium sized streamers and caught a few trout. He was using quite small streamers and he was catching trout like crazy, including some big ones (by brookie standards).

It wasn't a matter of the brookies not being able to get the bigger streamers in their mouth. It was a matter of then just not hitting the bigger streamer very often. But they were attacking the smaller streamers in nearly every decent spot.

Posted on: 2011/10/7 9:42

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com