how to become a fly fishing guide

willdeb

willdeb

Can some one give me information on how to become a fly fishing guide in southern chester county.

http://www.fishandboat.com/chboat_fact.htm

Also, figure out how to fish a wooly worm.

LOL

Wooly worm obviously mastered. Time to guide.

Seriously though, what's your experience level? Have you guided before?

I was ribbing him of course. Given the question in the newbie section on how to fish wooly worm, then asking this question on guiding, I assume OP is a young aspiring kid. Live the dream baby!

jdaddy wrote:
I was ribbing him of course. Given the question in the newbie section on how to fish wooly worm, then asking this question on guiding, I assume OP is a young aspiring kid. Live the dream baby!

You ever hear guides talk about guiding when clients aren't around?

Its sobering.

Still, it sounds like a nice idea to those of us who don't live it.

gfen wrote:

You ever hear guides talk about guiding when clients aren't around?

Its sobering.

Still, it sounds like a nice idea to those of us who don't live it.

Ya, they say you should turn your passion into a career for ultimate success, but I don't know about this. Seems turning your passion into a job would suck.

trust me, if your passion is fishing, you will not lose it becoming a guide. Now, 20 years of it, I'm not sure about, but my buddy can't wait to get back to Alaska. The certification process is fun in itself, and hey, you get paid to see some of the most tranquil places in the world.

if you don't have kids... go for it.

stevehalupka wrote:
trust me, if your passion is fishing, you will not lose it becoming a guide. Now, 20 years of it, I'm not sure about, but my buddy can't wait to get back to Alaska. The certification process is fun in itself, and hey, you get paid to see some of the most tranquil places in the world.

if you don't have kids... go for it.

Ya. . . he was asking about southern Chester County . . . lol.

jdaddy wrote:
Ya, they say you should turn your passion into a career for ultimate success, but I don't know about this. Seems turning your passion into a job would suck.

I used to love all things technology and computers.

Now I hate everything about them, and pick hobbies in which I use a computer only in the most tangential way.

Find a job that involves your passion, sure, but making a passion into a job is a surefire way to find out you hate it.

I thought about doing it long before there were any guides in my area, but I worried about liabilities. If I did they would have to sign release forms, I would be required to have insurence in most of the areas I'd be in. there is a lot of things that could happen to someone in the mountains.

Mountain lions!

I've thought about it many times, but never all that seriously.

lol whoops... yea, um, guiding in pa is a rough one... there are a few doing it, but by no means is it lucrative, unless of course you're repping as well.

I can only imagine a caricature of you on the stream, slide rule and sextant in hand, taking measurements, calculating angles, and then very precisely building a leader and then a laser pointer to mark the spot where the line/leader connection will land to place fly on point.

I know, I know, you're not actually like that, but please...don't ruin my dreams.

gfen wrote:

Mountain lions!

It happens.

http://thepennsylvaniarambler.blogspot.com/2010/02/cougars-in-pennsylvania-part-one.html

Attachments

• Cougar_Sign_3[1].JPG
    Cougar_Sign_3[1].JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
Thats so true. Never thought about the dangers doctors faced doing house calls in the wilderness. Great post!

Yotrout,
Happy you got one, your ready to become a guide now, pay attension to this thread to find out how.

jdaddy and I will gleefully be your first customers, see if you're ready to experience not only the bellicose, but bellicose and beligerant!

jdaddy wrote:

Been there, and it does. It's a sobering reality when you realize the things you loved you now loathe.

Back