Hi there

j_rutc

j_rutc

Well, now seems like a good time to post an introduction, seeing that a new beginner section has started. I just bought my first rig this past weekend, time to stop lurking. - I have been a spincaster since I was a little kid, and have always wanted to try flyfishing, after many years of I finally took the plunge.

I do have a question, after reading and watching many videos, I was trying out my first casting of my line, I tried tieing a piece of yarn to the end, however I found it easier without it. When I took the yarn off, I notice the end of my leader/ Tippet was making a cracking sound- basically like a whip crack. Is this something that I should be trying to avoid? As in if I hear the crack my cast is not so "perfect"?

Thanks!

Welcome to the board and to fly fishing!

The cracking happens easier with no fly or yarn, but it's indicative of an early forward cast.

My recommendation is to make sure the line, leader, and tippet is completely straightened behind you before doing your forward cast, and vise versa. When you begin the forward cast before the fly has reached the end of the backcast, it works like cracking a whip. You're going to shred your flies.

I throw bad loops now and then. Usually, all I do is start watching my backcast until I get the timing right. I also tell myself to slow down. You are not casting with your arm, you're casting with the rod. It doesn't need nearly as much "punch" to do its thing, and rushing or overpowering the process will actually cost you distance.

Imagine, for a second that you're watching yourself cast from a few feet upstream. When you begin your forward cast, the aerialized line and leader should resemble "right", not "wrong" in the pictures below. "wrong" creates the whip crack.

(oops, I forgot that calling stuff "wrong" around here hurts feelings... :lol:)

Attachments

• right.JPG
    right.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
  • wrong.JPG
    wrong.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 4
Try slowing your cast a little and it will stop making the whip sound . Also tie one of you flies on and cut the hook at the bend instead of the yarn . If you have some swag to spare or you have a fly fishing club near you I suggest you get lessons before you pick up bad habits .

jay I think you drew that fro a left handed caster :lol: ..anyway, just make sure you are pausing enough to let your line play out at the end of each back cast and forward false cast. Watch your line and see what's happening...then do it without looking but trying to mimic the timing.

Welcome j_rutc, good advice so far. It is very natural to try to rush the cast as you are doing. You need to cultivate the patience to slow down and let the rod do the work.

Welcome j_rutc. The snapping you're experiencing is commonplace with beginning fly casters. The previous posts are correct as to causes and solutions. Try a small fly rather than the yarn and slow down your casts.

Welcome!

All good advice above. I see you're from Shillington. A few of the PAFF members are getting together in the Lehigh Valley area for some tying and fishing. Dave Rothrock as well as Hertitage Angler and a few other PAFFers would be able help you with your casting, gear, and fishing techniques. Try to make it. Instruction from experienced FFers is absolutely the best way to shorten your learning curve.

Here is a link to details on the get-together:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12177&forum=11

Welcome to the site!

I counted.

I'd flail for a second or two, then would count the ryhtym out and get in sync.

Actually, I still keep the beat in my head and think each of thefour stepcast while I act it out.

Thanks everyone for the help, and the welcomes. I will definitely try to slow it all down and be patient.

I would love to make it to the get together- but my wife is due with our second child, & I wouldnt be able to live long if I missed anything at home ;-) . perhaps I can make another outing.

No sweat...they'll be more get togethers. You might even get to meet someone near you who'll get you on a stream in the mean time. Great bunch of guys.

Not sure if you saw but we are having a mini jam March 20th in Allentown which isn't to far from you. Try to make it and say hi.

I suspect you haven't started tying your own flies yet but and knowing the gang that will be there you'll walk away with a handful of flies.

Hope to see you there and welcome!

P.S. There will be an exceptional caster there that will have you casting like a pro in minutes. Well worth your drive! No joke.

J, welcome!

This biginners forum is great, wish I had it when I was starting!
That snapping sound you here ain't a good thing, will snap off your flies. One thing I use to do is, turn myself sideways so I could see my back cast( still do sometimes) another thing I did was the count, a couple of seconds before my forward cast. Another thing I did was, just sit and watch other fishermen, worked for me!

PaulG

I like to wait til I feel the weight of the line on rod before starting my forward cast.

You will also notice that when you are on the water, you make a lot less of those "conventional" casts than what you would expect. You should practice some "unconventional" casts as well. If you have a tree or bush in your yard, try to cast under the branches or stand in front of it and try to cast without a back cast. Most of the time, you will have some sort of obstical to hinder your cast when actually on the water.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to finally make it out yesterday, and put my patience into practice. I took my son fishing in Hibernia park Chester County - they have a kids pond that he enjoys fishing out of(spin casting), and after hooking himself and me being able to remove the hook without a trip to the ER he was ready to for me to give it a try. Any way, once he was done we moved over to the branch of the Brandywine Creek right next to the pond.
I thought I did well, casting anyway I got skunked. My son rather enjoyed watching me come up with nothing :lol: and to add insult to injury counting each cast I did. It did give me an opportunity to to explain the things I was doin so maybe in the near future wee will be buying an outfit for him.
Any way thanks again, and maybe I will be seeing some of you out there!

Welcome.Never to early to start fly fishing.Just scale down the outfit .GG

Back