Help with new Rod

B

biga54

OK...have been doing pretty good with my redington crosswater 7' 6" 4wt outfit...It has been casting some tight loops and is very handy but I've known for a while(2 weeks...just started ff for trout 3/31/14) I should have bought the 9' 5wt. I was chest deep the other day and was getting all kinds of action on the top but just didn't feel I had the power to get a hookup @ 30 ft...I want so bad to get my first dry fly fish...I'm also sure the olive woolybugger/SJ worm rig I've been catching fish on would be loads better with a fast 9' rod...So tonight I got a redington torrent 9' 5wt tonight on eBay for $99.99...anyhow...my budget is stretched right now...I was thinking I would buy a 5wt line for my crosswater reel and fish my 7' 4wt overlined for now...using the same reel for both..I've read it's often nice to have a small stream rod overlined...what line would be good for both?...I think the torrent is kind of fast.

The Torrent would probably perform well with a line on the heavy side of 5 weight, like a GPX or Rio Grand. That might make it a bit heavy for the 4 weight more moderate action Crosswater though it should work.

If it helps you I have spare (used) 5 weight line that you can have(GPX or SA Nymph). Look for a cheap reel for now and upgrade when your budget allows.

Cabelas has their Prestige Plus reel half price. For $25 it isn't bad at all.

I would keep the Crosswater as is for a small stream rod or panfish rod.

Thank You...I will pick up that reel and some backing. I sent a PM about the line you offered.

+1 in the $25 Cabela's brand prestige reels. They work! I have like 6 of them. I could buy a more expensive reel that looks fancier and has a better drag system, but for every application I've come across so far the Cabela's reels have been fine. They're not something I'll pass down to my grandchildren 50 years from now, but they are very practical.

I'm really glad I got that redington torrent. I was looking at the classic trout and the Lefty pro 2. I am loving the power and speed of the torrent. The prestige reel was also a very good buy for $25.

Thanks to Cathy, my new rig is now sporting some SA GPX line that is perfect. I caught my first 5 dry fly fish Monday and I didn't miss a single hit. I caught 3 with a march brown, one with a caddis, and one with a BLO...The creeks are all wrecked now with rain so I have to wait awhile to get back at it. It was a great first day with the new rig.

Back