Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Green Weenie

From SEPA
Quote:

fly_flinger wrote:
Gary,
I have a scan of the original. I can't figure out how to post a pdf on here. If you pm me your email addy, I'll send it to you.

Thrill to the Original Green Weenie instructions!

You can all thank Mr. Flinger for giving this to me.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 13:45

From Monessen, PA
Remember this silliness?

Click to see original Image in a new window
Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2011/1/20 14:27

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

fly_flinger wrote:
Gary,
I have a scan of the original. I can't figure out how to post a pdf on here. If you pm me your email addy, I'll send it to you.

Thrill to the Original Green Weenie instructions!

You can all thank Mr. Flinger for giving this to me.

I like how many hard and fast rules there are in the instructions.

Posted on: 2011/1/20 14:28

This fly either kills them or sends the trout running for cover and it's success or failure is all dependent on ambient conditions.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 12:38

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I have a certain fondness with a green weenie. I've caught many trout, bass, and panfish with it. I tie mine with a looped tail, and the smallest bead chain eyes I could find. I also use the regular chenille rather than the micro. That gives it the right amount of wiggle and weight. I actually caught a few nice wild brownies on it last year and love it for fresh stockies.

Posted on: 2011/1/21 13:23

From Altoona/Smoke Run
I love junk flies. I always called them Candy flies for some reason.
Whatever. They always work for me. I think some flies catch more fisherman than fish.

Posted on: 2011/1/24 18:59

From Clinton County, Pa.
BPS, I agree.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:03

From LV
I don't use it, but rather us a fly we like to call the greenie worm, it imitates a green inch worm. It is fished like a nymph cast upstream into the in flow of polls.

Posted on: 2011/1/25 21:09

From Johnstown, PA
Some old bass fisherman from the Harrisburg area said "Anything works for those smallmouth as long as it's green" don't remember who but it's been quoted often. My vote is also that they are all Junk Flies especially the Griffiths gnat , junky azz fly fizzers.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 7:41

Green Worm patterns have been used for many years before anyone came up with the name "Green Weenie."

They were tied to imitate 2 insects:

Green Caddis Larvae. The Rhyacophila caddis, which have no case, are big caddis larva, and the underside color is a very bright green.

Inchworms, or oakworms, are very common. You see them hanging by threads from trees through much of the year. From about May through October. Trout go crazy for them. Everybody knows that trout love ants and beetles, but they like inchworms as well, or better.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 8:50

From Clinton County, Pa.
Me too. I also have a floating inchworm pattern that I use that works very well.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 9:51

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

osprey wrote:
Some old bass fisherman from the Harrisburg area said "Anything works for those smallmouth as long as it's green" don't remember who but it's been quoted often. My vote is also that they are all Junk Flies especially the Griffiths gnat , junky azz fly fizzers.

I don't think I've ever considered the Griffith's gnat a junk fly. Peacock and palmered hackle doesn't sound like junk to me. One of my favorite midge patterns out there.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 15:31

From LV
I don't know what that guy on the one web site tied but it wasn't a green weenie, they aren't weight and they don't have bead heads.

Posted on: 2011/1/26 17:16

From pittsburgh
i like the cdc loopwing weenie

Posted on: 2011/1/26 21:41

-me

From Johnstown, PA
Charlie Meck is the guy in the video tying the Weenie , he did not invent the Weenie , he has written several books on the subject of fly fishing/tying , the only thing i know for sure that he invented is "The Dick Cheney Pool" on Bobs Creek. As for sizes of the Weenie? Does size really matter? a couple x's longer shank might help. On certain streams i'm almost positive that they mistake the Weenie for an inchworm.

Posted on: 2011/1/28 6:50

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com