Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

GPS Fishing Guide

Another member recently mentioned it....what is it?

Posted on: 2013/3/25 10:01

Re: GPS Fishing Guide

From Quakertown, pa
It's an app you can buy for your smartphone or a preloaded sd card for your gps both 59 bucks. Or a 20 dollar map. It shows you bass and trout waters. The phone app also does 7 other species. It shows llocations as well as creel limits for species. And bass and trout waters it tells you if they big bass program waters or wild trout waters, all the various programs

Posted on: 2013/3/25 11:02

From Cambria Co
Looks to be 25 on the Iphone...the only upside over the free maps you can get from the PA Fish and Boat is "List Closest Fishing". Other than than, its all free information for the most part

Posted on: 2013/3/25 12:02

From North East PA
It may be all "Free Information", but the developer has done a decent job of making it easy to access on your GPS (have not seen the smart phone app). Plus, he provides updated information. It is also easier to navigate than the PFBC website.

I consider it worth the $30 charge for the Garmin chip.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 17:15

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Quakertown, pa
I have the app on my phone and live by it since I travel for work it covers the whole state and every species living in the state and uses the gps in your phone to find nearest locals

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:16

From lower burrell, pa
I have the GPS version it rocks

Posted on: 2013/3/26 7:59

From Christiana, Delaware
I have the iPhone app and love it. It's on my iPad also. Sure you can use free maps but this is with me all the time and very handy.

There is a sponsor link on the right side of this webpage. It's the bottom link right above the vote.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 8:30

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's a very cool thing that just doesn't "fit" me yet, but certainly on the right track!

I have no smartphone. I have a car Garmin GPS but they don't have the natural repro list on this app for the Garmin's. I have little interest in the other lists, pretty much have most of that info memorized or otherwise easily available at all times.

Yes, it's data that's available for free online for computer users, and I use it all the time. You're paying for the convenience of putting it on your phone or GPS unit.

That said, a smartphone probably isn't all that far in my future, and absolutely, when I make that jump I almost certainly will buy this thing.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 9:15

From Eastern PA
Go to the Gear Talk section of PAFF and review any posts by UMFGuy. Great products imo.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 0:14

From Warrington
You'll also find lots of current discussions and updates on product development on the Shop Talk forum. I post there regularly. Feel free to ask any specific questions there!

Posted on: 2013/3/27 8:43

From Warrington
You'll also find lots of current discussions and updates on product development on the Shop Talk forum. I post there regularly. Feel free to ask any specific questions there!

Posted on: 2013/3/27 8:44

From York & Starlight, PA
Man, oh man, what would all you guys do without the Internet and smart phones, and app this and app that? You'd probably not be fishing because you couldn't find your way to the creek. Maybe because I'm an old guy I just can't see the need for a smart phone. I'm pretty smart without one. I don't think I want to be much smarter. I have a computer at home why do I need one in my pocket?

Yea, I know I do use the computer to chat about fishing with others of the same interests but back in the day you found new waters by driving all over the countryside in the summer after the fishing slowed down due to low and warm water.

Now it's just too easy to get onto the computer and log onto some forum and look at where guys are having good success and just drive there. Set the GPS and turn the car onto cruise and away we go.

I'm not even ranting here I'm just saying it was fun to locate new sections of rivers I was fishing or find entirely new streams that had great fishing. It was kind of an adventure and we would drive around and check out this stream or that pool and get our stuff on and go out and see if we could catch any trout.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 13:01

From Monessen, PA
Now you can explore many more streams than you could "in the good old days." It's the same, just different.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 14:11

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Now you can explore many more streams than you could "in the good old days." It's the same, just different.

Not at all. You can merely increase your chances of hitting the good ones and avoiding the duds.

I don't know of anyone who "just drove around". Christ, from my dad and grandpa, I have stacks and stacks of the old paper USGS topo maps, and they're all marked up. They were map geeks too in those days. It's just that now you can pull up those maps, or even better ones, for anywhere in the state on the computer/smartphone, and overlay which streams are class A, have natural repro, get stocked, etc. You still gotta go try em out, and you still get gems and duds. But perhaps you can do your research a little quicker, and still be a little more likely to find the gems rather than the duds.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 14:47

From York & Starlight, PA
Jack,

"It's the same, just different." Your a funny guy! It ain't the same but that's okay with me. I figure you young guys might need a little more help 'cause everything is so easy for you today. HeHe. Heck, I remember when Gladding used to sell tippet spools in various color holders so you could tell the difference between break strengths. Would you believe 6X had a break strength of 1.2# and 7X had a break strength of .6# That's the truth, no BS. I used to feel like a million bucks when I landed a 18" Montana trout on 6X.

pcray1231,

"I don't know of anyone who "just drove around". Well I did. I can vividly remember driving over the mountain from Roscoe to Pepacton looking for little creeks to fish or driving all along the old road beds of the lower EB and searching all along the main stem on rural roads looking for access.

That is how I found many of my favorite sections of the main stem. Look at a road map, see if there were any roads near the river, find a farmer and ask permission if I could park, or drive, onto his property to access the river.

Here is a picture of me and the rig I had back in the days when I would go hunting for new waters.

Attach file:

jpg  My weekend home.jpg (92.60 KB)
2548_51534bbe02e19.jpg 763X516 px

Posted on: 2013/3/27 15:43

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com