Future Fly Tyers

djs12354

djs12354

Gran-kids arrived last night and this morning were curious about Poppa's fly tying set up, so nothing else to do but sit down with them and tie a couple.

Looking forward to warm weather and getting them out on the water!

Attachments

• Fly Tying with Izzy 2.jpg
    Fly Tying with Izzy 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Fly Tying with Chris 2.jpg
    Fly Tying with Chris 2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
Can I use the scissors? Why do you do that? Can I have a feather? Why do you use the little comb on the deer fur? What's that shiny stuff for?

Almost forgot - "Poppa, it's my turn to be on your lap!"

I'm still grinning! :)

That's really cool, Dave! Savor all of those moments. It looks like you are doing a real nice job of that. Awesome!!

djs12354 wrote:
Can I use the scissors? Why do you do that? Can I have a feather? Why do you use the little comb on the deer fur? What's that shiny stuff for?

Almost forgot - "Poppa, it's my turn to be on your lap!"

I'm still grinning! :)

That's great to see kids taking interest in something other than video games.
An experience all of you will remember. :)
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Bill

I can understand her expression completely. :cool:

Attachments

• djs-n-Izzy.jpg
    djs-n-Izzy.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1
Hey Ed

Even Izzy knows there are no wings on a Wooly Bugger.

She was insistent that some krystal flash go into the fly!

djs12354 wrote:
Even Izzy knows there are no wings on a Wooly Bugger.

She was insistent that some krystal flash go into the fly!

Just bustin' yer chops. :-D

That's a nice tying area you've got there.

You've come a long way, my friend. I'm very proud of you!

I hope you clipped off the hook points and sent their flies home with them. Good stuff.

Nice Dave! Start 'em young!

Good stuff indeed.

Don't get to see the grands nearly enough since they live in Farmington Hills, Mi and we're up here in Carbondale, Pa. Just a 10 or so hour drive........

It really was terrific to have them want to know about all the "stuff" and to want to try their hand at it. Surprised me how intent they were as we tied. Plenty of questions about what and why.

Looking forward to having them over in warmer weather so that I can get them out on the water and chasing pan fish with my 3 wt. :)

God's gift for having raised children? Grandchildren.

Mine, now 11 and 10, remember their first tie and ask to see my recent ties.

A cherished memory in the making there. Good Stuff. Oh yeah, nice tying area. No grandchildren yet here. But,, I plan to follow your lead.

djs........THAT is just so cool and brings back fond memories of my two young uns , daughters , sittin on my lap when they were that age, one is 27 and the other 22 now, also they both caught trout on flies they tied and i got to see that too, give you a lil sumpin to look forward to and i hope it's as great for you as it was for me. VERY , VERY NICE!!!!

Awesome photos and great memories. Frame those photos and hang them in your area. Great post, I envy you.

osprey wrote:
djs........THAT is just so cool and brings back fond memories of my two young uns , daughters , sittin on my lap when they were that age, one is 27 and the other 22 now, also they both caught trout on flies they tied and i got to see that too, give you a lil sumpin to look forward to and i hope it's as great for you as it was for me. VERY , VERY NICE!!!!

Osprey,

I'm glad the post brought back good memories for you and hope you get to create more.

I'm going to put these flies into frames for the kids and will, hopefully, tie some more before I get them out on the water in warmer weather. I may have to get a Michigan license to do that, but it will be worth it.

Great pics Dave ... wait until they get their 1st fish with "Poppa". The innocent curiosity of a young child is awesome!

Andrew

Thanks!

In Detroit as I type this reply. I've gotten a pair of frames that have one side to hold the print and a smaller side to hold the fly and I will be giving them to the grands this evening.

Can't wait to see the look on their faces!!

Dave

Dave ..

I always find it great how special a bond kids can have with their grandparents. My lil ones can't wait to head down south and see both sets and they basically forget mom and dad. Who can blame em; instead of trying to explain to them how important healthy foods are for them they get sugar cereal for bfast and ice cream for lunch, any toy they want (w/in reason) etc ... works for the wife and I as well as we have free baby sitters for 10 days :-D

Enjoy and safe travels

Back