Furled leaders?

sipe

sipe

First: what's the advantage

What material is preferred? Silk, unithread...

How are these different from store bought tapered leaders?

For dry fly fishing I use a threaded furled leader, the fly actually seems to touch down like a natural insect. The novelty does wear off though. I have a heavy furled leader that I can't seem to use at all.

I started out using furled leaders, and similar to the poster above the novelty wears out and you eventually go back to standard leaders.

However from time to time I think about using them, especially those that now have a tippet ring attached making it real nice for fishing a rig of a couple of flies and a dropper and making tippet changes easy. Also the furled leader provides a bit more "grip" for putting on indicators for nymph fishing, such those you can get that are nothing more than fly line with their core removed.

I don't know that there is any disadvantage in using furled leaders versus standard.

I can't comment on furled leaders cause i haven't tried them yet but this summer i'm gonna , for a newbie though i would suggest that you put together a kit and learn how to hand tie your own tapered leaders , it's cheap and easy and you can do it onstream. GOOD LUCK

I think there is an advantage for newbies to use furled leaders. When tangles and tree fish are in the picture it is much easier to just clip off the tippet and retie. A furled leader can last a season or more and the newer fisherman doesn't need to be able to recognized where on the tied leader to repair and add tippet. Many newer fisherman can't tell on an extruded leader where the tippet begins either.
The furled leader turnes over easy and makes casting less challenging.
Having said all that I tie my own but will sometimes use a furled, when in the mood, mostly during dry fly times. Not the best option for nymphing.

i make mine out of black nylon thread that i get at wally world for 2 bucks a spool. never tried anything else like mono or uni...

Back