Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Frustrating

From Bucks County
Based on these descriptions I believe what I was seeing were suckers. It was a deeper pool, they were very skittish and would dart all over the place in a school when I moved. If I was still for a while they often settled down only a few feet from me- sometimes over a dozen fish with some of the larger ones looking to be a foot in length. They were not taking anything on top. I often was able to drift a nymph through the middle of the school, but generated zero interest.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 15:36

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
docsab wrote:

Based on these descriptions I believe what I was seeing were suckers. It was a deeper pool, they were very skittish and would dart all over the place in a school when I moved. If I was still for a while they often settled down only a few feet from me- sometimes over a dozen fish with some of the larger ones looking to be a foot in length. They were not taking anything on top. I often was able to drift a nymph through the middle of the school, but generated zero interest.

As my posts show, similar characteristics that i observed. Looks like we are 50/50 as some say suckers are slower and wouldn't dart. I'm going with trout because it makes me feel better

That said .. I look forward to heading out to VC with someone who has more knowledge then me to verify.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 17:27

Trout that are use to being pounding will often just move a little further up.They learn from experience that bailing out will keep them from getting their fair share of the booty.
While I have never fished valley I have fished the so called toughies all over the country.
I also get a perverted pleasure out of watching others trying to catch the streamwise fish that just keep moving out of range.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 18:20

From Bucks County
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I'm going with trout because it makes me feel better

Heh, I couldn't catch em so I'll go with suckers for the same reason.

Posted on: 2012/9/2 22:36

From Phoenixville Pa
Fished it on sunday at sunrise before the rain. Took a few on a #14 black parachute ant. I saw a few jump clear out of the water, one was about 3' from me. Not for my fly but it was a cool sight to see.

I haven't fished it all summer but before it got too hot but was still a bit low and clear I found my self wading up to a lie on my knees. I did the same on sunday and feel like it helped keep me in the game. As soon as I was done and stood up I'd see the fish I was casting to relocate. I also had beter luck in the riffles although I had a quick take in a slow pool as soon as my ant hit the water.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 7:22

From Phoenixville Pa
Also, in my experience on valley, I tend to see a lot more suckers because by the time I'm close enough all of the trout have already gone to safer places. The suckers skatter but will settle down not too far from where they where originally, and they stack up all the way through the hole. The trout will be there too and when you see them next to each other you kick youself for thinking the sucker was a trout.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 7:26

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
You likely saw mostly trout. VC is full of trout and they are very visible with the slow, shallow water and light colored streambottom.

PM coming.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 9:25

From Couldn't Care Less
So I was watching videos last night. In July when we all fished it was all dry flies with tricos and terrestrials. Haven't nymphed for trout in awhile (WW fish are dumb so technique doesn't matter much lol). I forgot when I nymph to keep my get a lil closer, stretch out my arm and keep the fly line out of the H20, right?

I was treating the nymphs as a dry fly and mending when it slacked up which is wrong.

Am I right on all of this?

Posted on: 2012/9/4 17:04

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Am I right on all of this?

Yes, you're right.
Most of the time when fishing nymphs, you'll want to hold your rod high and keep the line off the water. This is sometimes called "high sticking" or just "sticking." This technique is more commonly employed where there is current and on bigger waters where you would be wading. For a small stream like V where you are fishing slower, shallow pools typically only a few inches deep.....it's perfectly common (probably better actually) to cast further back from the fish as you would with dry flies and mend line as it drifts back to you. Most of the time, when I can see trout in clear, shallow water this time of year, I'll approach from downstream and make a long cast up to the fish with a dry fly, usually a beetle or ant. If this doesn't work, I'll switch to a nymph or some sub-surface presentation.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 18:05

From Lehigh Valley
Great advise FI.

Stagger - When fishing low and clear water, a great technique is to fish a small beadhead fly (say sz 18, or so) tied to a piece of tippet off the bend of an easily visible dry fly. This is called a dry/dropper rig.

A good dry to use for this is an elk hair caddis. Tie 18" or so of the same size tippet, or 1X size lighter to the bend of the caddis hook with a clinch knot, and tie the beadhead nymph to the end of the tippet.

Fish the dry as you normally would, with a drag free drift. The dry fly is your indicator, and will sometimes take fish as well.

Highly pressured fish sometimes respond better to a darker colored bead on the nymph. Try one with a flat black colored bead.

If I was fishing with you on VC, this is what I'd rig you up with. I'll give you some of these flies next time I see you. Something like this would be good....

Attach file:

jpg  bhn.jpg (8.10 KB)
72_50469c47dd356.jpg 285X285 px

Posted on: 2012/9/4 20:27

From Chadds Ford, PA
It's a Walt's Worm and is deadly on Valley.....even in larger sizes.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 20:39

From Couldn't Care Less
All these different types of fly patterns I've been reading abt in this thread and others the past few days .. Sometimes I open my fly box and my head spins.

Starting to copy and paste random posts by you guys and organize it in a Word folder which is better than searching the sight when I remember something.

Good Stuff .. keep it up as its much appreciated

Posted on: 2012/9/4 22:16

From Bucks County
Pick a fly you are confident with and work a couple of the pools, work on the presentation and enjoy the day fishing...

Just my $.02

Posted on: 2012/9/5 9:21

From Couldn't Care Less
Had a couple of hours ystrday afternoon and did some WW fishing locally to boost my confidence. Casting is getting there as I have slowed it down and concentrated on the 2-10 clock. Roll cast was working OK as well. Caught 2 SMB and a host of others on a couple of terrestrials. Also practiced (and landed fish) my nymphing technique which I will have a few questions on when we get together again.

Felt good to catch fish but I really have to figure out how to those trouts.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 9:37

From Morrisville
I'm glade to hear VC is skunking more ppl than just me. Well not really but atleast I'm getting some free knowledge about this stream. My record is currently 0-4. My biggest problem is not spooking the fish, perhaps its my "wading" since Im used to wading the Delaware River for Stripers and SMB. Maybe if I have advanced notice I will see if someone wouldn't mind some company fishing.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 17:11

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
171 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com