Fly selection...

S

sanctuary

What would be your first pattern if you were fishing for early stockers in a spec reg area?

I was on the Quittie this afternoon and saw fish but got absolutely no love.

Tried Greenie weenie, and egg pattern, WB, SJ worm, and finally PT nymph.

A couple guys were catching some with small spinners, but I don't want to use my spinning gear, trying to get the hang of the flyrod.

What species are stocked there? Has it been freshly stocked?

If the fish are taking spinners, consider a streamer. White buggers are killer on stocked fish.

White buggers. I'll try that. I tried black and olive.

It was freshly stocked with RB and browns. I figured it would be more fun to practice casting with some chance of pullage on the other end. I had been up to Stony and Clarks, but the fish wouldn't stop laughing at me.

Is Manada's DHALO a tough place to fish?

I may get crucified for saying this here, but when I was learning to fly fish, I always brought some lures, bait and a few hooks with me. It kept the fly rod in my hands, but allowed me to sting a few fish while learning to handle it. On a DHALO, that might not be the way to go, but it will work fine on ATWs once they open.

Presenting flies with a fly rod is a big change from spin fishing, so don't be afraid to take it in baby steps. Once I started consistently catching them on flies, I found that I had no interest in anything else. Up to that point, I managed to avoid the skunk a few times, which is never bad.

I am not familiar with the stream but streamers should get you some action.

No luck with egg patterns they should be deadly on stocker bows. Just make sure you are getting them down to the bottom and keeping them there. Any pink or peach color should work.

Sanctuary, you followed a reasonable progression for fly selection. I don't think that was your problem. As Jay suggested sometimes you can get clues from what the fish are doing or other happenings around you (streamers are the fly fishing equivalent of spinners).

Maybe you had some issues with how you were presenting the fly (we all are constantly working on this), or maybe it was just one of those days when the fish weren't cooperating.

Better luck next time.

I may have confused them with my Indiana Jones presentation...

or maybe it was my moose-like wading skills. haha

I tried dead drifting a weighted GW across the bottom, then an unweighted. Worked the WB on the drift and stripped in a bunch of different ways like a streamer.

I am trying to get back into "trout" mode. 3 years on the Potomac catching 40-50lb stripers and catfish in 50 ft of water can numb you to the amount of noise you can make. Next time you see me, I'll be low crawling in full camo.

And Jay, thanks for the suggestion. The kids have been chomping at the bit to get out, so I'll probably take them and sling a little metal with em.

I completely agree with Jay, although I never switched back. I forced myslef to learn and catch fish.

BTW, a true dead drift is extrememly hard to master. What appears to be a dead drift, may not appear that way to the fish.

I have showed people the difference and not hooked or even pursuaded a fish for ten cast, then show a true dead drift (or as close as I can get) and hooked up on the first one. I still constantly have to remind myself to not get lazy and work for that true dead drift.

there is nothing wrong with using bait on a fly rod when you first start. It can get really frustrating slinging flies all day and catching nothing. Once you start catching them on flies you will never be able to get out of the water. :)

Sanctuary,
I'd say your original choice of flies was a good one. I'd try Jay's suggestion of a white streamer. I've found that fresh stocked fish really like white streamers. Were you getting your flies down deep? Oftentimes, this time of year, fish are right on the bottom and you need to get your flies down to 'em in the cold water. If you're not snagging the bottom or dredging up some weeds once and awhile (like every third cast or so) you might need some more weight.

sanctuary wrote:
White buggers. I'll try that. I tried black and olive.

It was freshly stocked with RB and browns. I figured it would be more fun to practice casting with some chance of pullage on the other end. I had been up to Stony and Clarks, but the fish wouldn't stop laughing at me.

Is Manada's DHALO a tough place to fish?

Sanctuary

I was out at Manada the other day, I fished less then an hour, didn't catch any. I have this bad cold right now and just felt to bad to stay.

The only thing tough about Manada is all the dead fall, most of the time your in and out of the water.

I did see some blk stoneflies while I was there, other things you might want to try are, streamers, attractor flies, adams, royal wulffs, stemulators, someone else will have to help you out with the nymphs. Give it a try, Im sure you'll like the stream!

PaulG

Speaking of white buggers, have a look at the fly in this fishes mouth...

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12273&forum=8

1235_4b95bf3220d0f.jpg

".... there is nothing wrong with using bait on a fly rod when you first start."

This is true, but then you aren't really fly fishing. I fished a bugger like a hunk of bait when I first started fly fishing in streams. Then I moved on, but I've been back to buggers many times. Great learning fly. Try fishing it on a fairly tight line. You could be missing lots of takes.

As was mentioned, the fly rod is a different tool. The leader and tippet are connected to your fingers through a fairly thick line that floats on the surface. Fish can take and pull several inches of leader before you even know it. If you aren't using an indicator, the fly-to-fingers connection must be solid or you must be able to watch your line on the water.

Whether an externally attached indicator or the line/leader junction, the slack between fly and indicator must also be minimal (or better non-existent) for you to know consistently when your offering has been taken by the fish.

When the weather breaks, then a royal wulff or adams will serve you for a while. Adams in sizes 18-14 should be in your early season fly box.

In another couple weeks, the panfish should start moving into the shallows. Visit the lake in late afternoon of a warm day. Find a shallow bay and look for rises. Bluegill, Pumpkinseed, crappie, etc. will rise to emerging insects or just cruise the shallows looking for any kind of food. Whether rising to naturals or not, cast them your gnarliest dry fly and have a blast.

Back