Flies for March on the Youghiogheny River, Dunbar Creek

cmadison33

cmadison33

Hi everyone,

I am looking to try and get some fly fishing in next week, mainly the Smithton and West Newton sections of the Yough, and possibly the fly-fishing only C&R section of Dunbar Creek. What flies would anyone recommend for those streams this time of year?

Thanks

Welcome to the jungle!

Sorry I can't offer advice for fly selection, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon with choices.

I'll be fishing these same waters this season, but this is my first season fly-fishing in the last 18 years, so I have no idea what flies they hit on. I did watch some guys fishing a two-nymph rig take some nice browns in the Yough last year, but I was taking beautiful rainbows right near them on spinning tackle and butterworms and salmon eggs. Just depends, but in my experience I've never seen anyone dry-fly fishing the Yough. Doesn't mean you can't, I've just never seen it. Yough trout tend to be mostly bottom feeders because the current is so strong near the surface. Gotta think in terms of a trout - getting food with the least amount of energy expenditure possible. I will be trying nymphs and streamers in the section I fish.

I can't comment at all on Dunbar because I have never fished it, but I'll be trying the nymph strategy there as well.

Back