Fishing in Tap Shoes

L_soult

L_soult

Theodore Roosevelt one said "Tread lightly and carry a big stick". I got the stick (fly rod) but I'm having trouble with the first part.

After a year of learning how to sneak up on brookies, I finally got a pair of studded click-clackers to spook them with. I seriously watched a fish take off under a stump as soon as my studs landed on a rock. Unfortunately my local frestoners won't allow me to cast from any distance.

My studs aren't removable.... any tips other than buying new boots?

L_soult wrote:
Theodore Roosevelt one said "Tread lightly and carry a big stick". I got the stick (fly rod) but I'm having trouble with the first part.

After a year of learning how to sneak up on brookies, I finally got a pair of studded click-clackers to spook them with. I seriously watched a fish take off under a stump as soon as my studs landed on a rock. Unfortunately my local frestoners won't allow me to cast from any distance.

My studs aren't removable.... any tips other than buying new boots?

I thought the same thing about studs a while back. I've been wearing studs on my boots for over ten years now and I seem to spook the same amount of trout with and without.

If you have access to a grinding wheel, they could probably be taken down with that. Very carefully though, so that you don't grind away much of the felt - or rubber - around it.
Or just remove the whole thing, and do a resole

You're going to spook fish with or without studs. Water is low making fish extra spooky; you probably would have spooked that fish if you were barefoot. Try position yourself to make longer casts when the water is low like this. Get low, think sniper crawl. Cast from your knees. Be concious of where your shadow is. Be the tree...

boychick wrote:
You're going to spook fish with or without studs. Water is low making fish extra spooky; you probably would have spooked that fish if you were barefoot. Try position yourself to make longer casts when the water is low like this. Get low, think sniper crawl. Cast from your knees. Be concious of where your shadow is. Be the tree...

^^This.

I tried hitting up a small, low and clear run the same day as my Sevier River trip and saw fish spooking WAY before I even got to the bank. The studs and spooking fish are merely coincidence. Use stealth once you get to a castable area and cast as long as is feasible.

hands & knees approach

buy a cheap pair of sneakers buy them 2 sizes too big, wear them over your waders.

the flexible soles much improve your balance and stealth.

geebee wrote:
buy a cheap pair of sneakers buy them 2 sizes too big, wear them over your waders.

the flexible soles much improve your balance and stealth.

Haha. I should have done that in the first place. With a little felt and glue ;)

i wasn't kidding. until i got some simms flats sneakers on sale, thats what i used for small streams and saltwater - even on jetties.

the rubber grip sole helps more than studs imho

I don't think the soles matter rather a more stealthy approach is what we all need more of.........stealth and blending in with the background , for example , only move when the breeze blows etc.

I am not a graceful wader either. What I try to do is get to my spot and stay still there. I have found that the fish will return to there old position when they feel safe. This might only be a few minutes.

A friend of mine told me that wild trout run away from noise and stocked trout will run to it thinking they are going to be feed.

Sounds logical to me. :)

Bill

Back