Fish aren't biting... please read and reply, good or bad.

B

bpassione

I am new to fly fishing, but an avid fisherman who has spent many years learning about fish and their habits. Although when fly fishing I never seem to catch fish. From switching up fly size, color, pattern, dry, wet, steamers, weighted, non weighted, etc., still never even get a bite. Also I match the hatch when the bugs are coming off the water with no luck.

I'm not complaining, I really just don't understand. The amount of days on the water (3-4 per week), practice(3-8hrs per trip), and dedication are there, just not the reward of fish landed or even biting.

The hell with giving up, that's not even an option! I'm just looking for any input I cant get as to what, how, when, or why I many not be achieving the results I desire.

BTW: I usually fish Slippery Rock Creek (SRC) 488 Hienz camp road, SRC @ kennedy mills, and Volant, PA which I have had some luck @ Volant.

I am in no way an expert on anything fly fishing but I really think that finding good holding water is more important than anything. SRC is a big creek, and there is a lot of water to read. I would fish a good, all around searching pattern in the fishiest (is that a word?) spots first. I don't know how the bugs have been up there, but if there aren't rising fish, I would start working nymphs. If the water is up, I'd start working streamers or buggers. I feel that SRC is easier to read farther upstream from the F.F.O. section, but it is almost impossible to wade.

If you haven't yet, stop in and ask around at the fly shop in Volant.

If it makes you feel any better, the only fish I've caught in SRC have been smallies every august when the white maylies are hatching. Always a white wooly bugger towards Breakneck.

Let us know how it goes.

Are you adding split shot at all when fishhing subsurface? When I first started fly fishing that was my biggest problem, not getting deep enough where the fish are. Don't know SRC well but at Volant try a woolly bugger, nymph(keep it simple like pheasant tail or hares ear) or maybe eggs or san juans. Put maybe 2 split shot about 7in. or so above youre fly and maybe an indicator(adjust according to depth) if youre not snagging the bottom once in a while you might not be deep enough. Also keep a drag free drift. If your fly is moving faster or slower than the current then you will catch less.

Hope this helps

I have to agree with streamer guy. I was getting very frustrated earlier this season. FYI this is my first season dedicated to fly fishing. I was lost. Went out and got skunked everytime i went out. Then i added split shot about 10 inches away from my wooly bugger and ive been consistently catching fish ever since. I dabbled with nymphing and caught one small trout but an olive green wooly bugger and a split shot or two up the line has been my "holy grail". I think the two biggest overlooked factors when starting out are getting the fly to the correct depth and mending your line. Good luck and tight lines :)

bypass,
Good to see you're not discouraged. Truth be told, this has been a very tough year for fishing in PA rivers and streams - I've certainly had my share of poor days or days I didn't even go fishing due to frozen or flooded waters. Just speaking for myself, while I'm not an avid hatch pursuer, it seems to me that bug activity has been esp poor this year and I've caught very few fish on dry flies even though it's almost June. As I often suggest to avid spin fishers who hope to transition to fly fishing (FFing) - take both types of gear out on your next trip to Slippery Rock: if you can't catch 'em on fly gear but are then able to with spin gear - ask yourself what was different? Am I fishing deeper with spin gear or retrieving faster? If they hit a silver spinner, why not try a silver or white streamer in a similar location and at a similar speed? Take your time with the transition and enjoy your time on the water, regardless of whether you're spin of FFing. FFing is a much more complex and detail oriented way to sport fish and, for many of us, this is much of the appeal. If you've read some of the other posts here in the Beginner's Forum, you'll see other folks who couldn't buy a trout after many trips and then it all finally clicked. It'll happen. Enjoy the ride.

It's hard to say what you are doing wrong without actually seeing you fish. The streams you mentioned are loaded with fish right now so that isn't an issue.

Keep this in mind though:
Whether you fish a stocked ATW, or a class A wild trout stream, most of the fish will be concentrated in key holding water. They are not distributed evenly along the stream bottom. A difference of ten feet in either direction from where you are casting can be the difference between hooking several fish and not getting a bite. If you cannot see fish feeding, you need to be able to find the "sweet spots" and fish those areas hard. Paying attention to depth, visibilty, structure, and current speed are all important to reading water. The ability to identify good water is more important than flies or technique, particularly on stocked fish.

Kev

Thank you all for your information, it was all very helpful. I have tried the split shots with no such luck.

Moderator, you have a great point because i have been catching trout like crazy on these streams with spinning rods all season. I think it just boils down to the fact I'm inexperienced with fly tackle and need to put in the same amount of work i did with regular tackle.

Thanks again to all! tight lines!

Hey guys,

I went up to Tionesta this week. If you live up that way, go to Mayburger part of the stream. Its teaming with fish, everything from trout to Musky.

I caught a bunch and missed many more. Hope this helps someones day out. I promise you wont be disappointed if you find that 1-2 mile stretch I was fishing.

tight lines!

i would reccomend using some beaded pheasant tail nymphs in 14 16 and 18 with copper krystal flash as the wingcase and legs. u can also use pearl krystal flash for a flashback version. tie 2 on(i generally use a 16 and 18) and high stick. this has been effective 4 me on nearly every stream i fish whether the fish are stocked or wild. i rarely ever get skunked and usually put up good numbers. i usually do so well i rarely have 2 tie anything else on. i am good at reading water just not a good caster and this produces fish 4 me time after time. good luck

bpassione wrote:
Hey guys,

I went up to Tionesta this week.
I caught a bunch and missed many more.
tight lines!

Great news! Were you spin or FFing (not that it really matters if you're having fun)?

Back