Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Finding Brookie Streams ..

From Clearfield
Good luck stagger, if you're in the area and want to fish pm me.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 18:52

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
My wife thought I was nuts for doing this but I know someone on here will appreciate this, I took a gazetteer cut all the pages out highlighted the above lists in yellow and blue and laminated it, made a whole map of the state and hung it on the wall of my fishing room. My father in law calls it the "fishing war room".It was a winter project some time ago, it was a lot of work but hey it's done now...

Dude, that's BA! In my gazatteer any stream I (or any of my fishing partners) catch a wild trout in I highlight in blue. That, along with my folders of fishing pictures (one for each stream) is my historical fishing log. One of the most satisfying feelings I get from wild trout fishing is exploring and adding another line on the map and another stream folder on my computer. There's a few where I had to draw the stream on the map as they were too small to even be on there! I love it when an area I explore starts to get filled in with blue lines.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 18:53

From Lancaster
Some of those unnamed blue lines are great little brook trout fisheries. Don't overlook any unnamed tributaries to the class A or natural reproduction list streams as long as the flows are decent, give them a shot. Good luck, your gonna have a blast!

Posted on: 2012/11/28 18:58

From Da 'Berg, PA
you can look at the class a streams on google maps terrain and see where folds in the hillside / mountainside are.

4/5 times there is a a brook there - even if there is no blue line on the map.

ponds in higher elevations than local streams are also a good indicator that a brook might be around somewhere.

not knowing whether these are perennial streams or dried beds with a few tiny pools, is part of the fun.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 19:02

From Monessen, PA
The time I almost saw a bear:

Went looking for Quebec Run. Never thought I found it. It was supposed to be a trib to another stocked water. I got to where I thought it would be and there was this little trickle. I went down to its mouth and fished a little ways upward. Heard a bear nearby calling cubs and got scurred, being deep in the woods alone. Went home to later learn that the stream below the trickle was actually called Quebec. Never went back. One day I will.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 19:14

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
My wife thought I was nuts for doing this but I know someone on here will appreciate this, I took a gazetteer cut all the pages out highlighted the above lists in yellow and blue and laminated it, made a whole map of the state and hung it on the wall of my fishing room. My father in law calls it the "fishing war room".It was a winter project some time ago, it was a lot of work but hey it's done now...

Dude, that's BA! In my gazatteer any stream I (or any of my fishing partners) catch a wild trout in I highlight in blue. That, along with my folders of fishing pictures (one for each stream) is my historical fishing log. One of the most satisfying feelings I get from wild trout fishing is exploring and adding another line on the map and another stream folder on my computer. There's a few where I had to draw the stream on the map as they were too small to even be on there! I love it when an area I explore starts to get filled in with blue lines.

I like what you're doing with the wild trout caught record that's a good idea. Too small to be on the map, you are going deep! I'd like to go on one of those trips.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 19:26

From LV
Quebec Run is tough Jack, but it's worth it. The stream it flows into is also decent. Both have green drakes in May.
I got down there one day after work with Don D and we were having a good time catching brookies on drakes, when a thunderstorm came through and put everything down. After the storm nothing else happened, but it was fun, and we walked out in the dark.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 9:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
While I do reference the class A list, I generally don't use it as my "core" list. Many of my favorites are NOT class A. Especially when talking smallish, freestone brookie streams.

A couple of reasons:

1. These populations swing wildly, and they aren't sampled by the PFBC all that often. So a snapshot of what it was like in 1980 or something is hardly a good predictor of what it's like today.

2. When they are sampled, the whole thing may not be sampled. If they shocked the area down by the road, that's fine, but I'm probably fishing a mile in or so and it's less likely to have been sampled.

3. How it rates in a "class" can be inversely proportional to the agressiveness of the fish. Class A streams tend to be more fertile, and the fish pickier. With the standard tactics for brookie streams, you're relying on aggressiveness, so more fish to catch doesn't equate with more fish caught.

4. How it rates in "class" can have more to do with the structure than the number of fish seeing your fly. You don't fish the unproductive looking water anyway. They rate it by biomass per surface area, not biomass per volume of flow. Narrow, deep streams have an advantage, and will be rated higher than a stream carrying the same amount of water, with the same amount of fish, that's a little wider and shallower. Also, some streams have ok holes every few feet, and others have good holes every 200 feet. But having more "walk past" water doesn't lower your total much, streams with more fish per "pool" fish better, even if pools are farther apart. The goal is number of fish seeing your fly per cast.

Anything on the wilderness list is generally pretty good, even if it's class B or C. There's lots of other good ones though. The streams with natural reproduction list is my "base" list. Then narrow down the best you can with other factors. Higher gradient is generally better. Farther from roads is generally better. Sometimes you hit on a little geology, i.e. the streams in a drainage originating from the south may be worse or better than those originating from the north. Then you look up geologic maps and determine what rock formations may cause this effect, and extrapolate.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 9:22

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Bottom line, is that you become a map geek. This one's my favorite:

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/preview/map.ashx?layer=980

Posted on: 2012/11/29 9:29

Yeah map time... I spend enough map time, with marked up paths, etc.. One guy says that before I go brookie fishing it looks like I am preparing "bombing runs"

And you can copy the GPS coords from that nat repro list right in to google earth...

Posted on: 2012/11/29 15:47

Edited by k-bob on 2012/11/29 16:19:13

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

TS;DR

Posted on: 2012/11/29 15:48

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

That's a very cool map. But I don't see a scale. Has anyone figured out a way to display a scale of miles?

Posted on: 2012/11/29 17:15

From LV
Great map, so many streams so little time!

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:24

From Da 'Berg, PA
great map.

i just found two streams that only show up on the very last magnification.

i suspected they were there but didn't know for sure.

thanks.

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:37

From Couldn't Care Less
So I did a lil research with the links some of you guys sent and realized I'm going to take a mapography 101 @ my local community college Have an idea where some of the streams on the maps are but have to figure out how to locate the exact GPS (lat/logitude) coordinates.

That said .. on my own research did a lil research on line and found a few creeks online and a way to find access points and parking. Looks like I'm going to need to invest in some orange during hunting season

Posted on: 2012/11/30 10:26

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com