Extremes

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I guess I usually fish somewhat difficult places that I should be avoiding. Its very tough for me to catch anything. So today a friend was driving up to Tioga County to pick up some lumber. I went along for the ride. When we got there, he dropped me off at another friends camp while he went for the lumber. I made a path through a couple hundred yards of forest until I reached a stream. The very first thing I saw on the stream was rising fish. Everywhere. They basically took anything I cast at them, however it drifted. If I put a fly on the water, they went for it. It was the complete opposite of normal. Like the twilight zone! It was 4 hours each way, and I got to fish for about an hour. But it was so worth it.

The stream is stocked about a 1/4 mile downstream from where I was, but I think these were natives?

http://imgur.com/HLUUn4W

phiendWMD wrote:
.....but I think these were natives?

Yep - native brook trout. Fish like these usually see much less fishing pressure and are usually much easier to catch.
Nice job.

The picture you have there is obviously a native brookie. Nice job!

Edit: Oops, FI already had it covered.

Very nice. They are beautiful fish and very opportunistic feeders rarely passing up a potential meal. However, you do need to have some stealth in your approach particularly in low, gin clear water conditions and bright sunny skies. If you happen to put them down in a certain hole you may as well go to the next one because it is "game over" in that hole for a while. As you experienced if you manage to get a fly in there without them knowing you are there, you are in business! Lots of fun!!

Back