Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

elk hair caddis

From corry pa.
is the elk hair caddis a good or bad choice for the opener here in pa? is this a dry fly or a wet fly? any reccamendations on a magnafyer for a hat I can't see these little flies? sorry about the spelling you can probably tell I am not the best speller.you can probably also tell that I am a newbie. fly fishing really interests me a lot but what a lot to learn and everything is so small but I really think it will be worth it if I can get good enough to catch fish on a fly rod.

Posted on: 4/4 12:27

Re: elk hair caddis

From Lambertville
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about spelling. Many people misspell especially when using a cell phone. One easy way to check spelling is to google the word and google will correct the spelling.

As to your question, I don't have enough experience to answer but I think an elk hair caddis is a dry fly. I do know it's very popular as a dry fly.

I'm sure you'll get better answers from more experienced members of the forum.

Posted on: 4/4 13:56

From Westmoreland/Tioga
The elk hair caddis is a dry fly. Is it a good choice for the first day? It wouldn't be my first choice.

While the elk hair caddis is an excellent pattern, I would not expect fish to rise a dry fly this early.

Recommended flies are streamers, big nymphs or eggs.

Posted on: 4/4 14:22

From Malvern
you can find magnifiers that clip on to a brim of your hat, there are a number of places that sell them. Check cabelas, and I think Dicks has one.

For opening day I would try a form of emerger or some sort of soft hackle with a nymph dropped from that about 8 - 10 inches. It always works for me.

Posted on: 4/4 14:49

From Howard,PA
I use a "Flip Focal " brand magnifier and find it works great. There are different magnifications so be sure and try before buying.

Posted on: 4/5 15:53

From Monessen, PA
The elk/deer hair caddis may not be the best fly to use on opening day, but I wouldn't hesitate to give them a try for stocked trout especially, and for a beginner.

They are highly visible to angler and trout, can resemble a pellet, and are durable when cast into trees and pulled loose.

Posted on: 4/6 8:00

From LV
Just to show how things are different every year on opening day, I would have used an elk hair caddis for opening day 2 years ago. The caddis were falling like snow flakes in January that entire weekend along Big Pine and the tribes. This year I doubt it, try some nymphs of black stones #14, hendricksons #12 and blue quills #16. Throw in an attractor pattern if the water's near 50 degrees.

Posted on: 4/6 8:25

From Pa
Along with all of the other good advice here, remember one word. DEEP.

Posted on: 4/6 16:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com