Egg Pattern Presentation Question

L_soult

L_soult

I'm still pretty green, but I was clueless when Sasquatch let me use one of his egg patterns. I was still trying to take it all in and didn't have the foresight at the time to know the right questions to ask. He showed me just what to do but I was still in awe of the whole FF thing I didnt quite pick up what he was throwing down.

I made a few soft egg patterns today (out of small craft store puff balls on a hook) and they look like store bought egg patterns to me.

Now I'm trying to visualize how I'm going to use them.

Common sense tells me that in nature an egg wouldn't bounce down a stream bed like a nymph would. Maybe a double rig with weights on each tippet to keep them in place? My logic may be way off on this.

On the other hand, movement attracts attention.

Could someone please tell me the best way present these eggs?

Also, I already put them on hooks but a size recommendation would be appreciated. The eggs are 1/4" in Diameter.

Launce

L_soult wrote:

Common sense tells me that in nature an egg wouldn't bounce down a stream bed like a nymph would. Maybe a double rig with weights on each tippet to keep them in place? My logic may be way off on this.

Launce
Yep.
But eggs can be seasonal. The next time you will probably want to use an egg is during sucker spawn. Then, after that on freshly stocked trout.

You can keep the higher in the column or off the bottom by sliding the shot up the leader . The shot will ride and bounce the bottom and the egg will try to float and bob 6-8" from the bottom. Only trouble is you won't detect the hit immediately until the hit tranfers through the shot to the leader. But its that way with most nymphing.

Dead drift under an indicator mending line to not allow the indicator to experience drag, indicator hesitates, set hook.

Just fish them like a nymph.

In a double rig set up I put the egg higher, or first in the chain. If you use a bugger or streamer, you get the minnow-chasing-egg effect that seems to attract fish...I've had it work!

I forget exactly how I set you up for that Launce. I usually tie the eggs off of another nymph or something, similar to Mo's technique w/ the split shot. I use a weighted nymph, tie the egg of the point so that its floating a little bit above the bottom, and have at it. Worked well for me in November on THE Pine! (all joking aside, it really did work well for me in November on Pine)

I don't think I have one egg pattern in my arsenal. Per csault's post on eggs being seasonal ..

what months do you guys fish with them?

Are they important ie: success with them?

Are there certain patterns/colors/sizes you guys recommend?

Thanks

Any time anything is spawning they are important. Fall, and early spring. But on top of that eggs are one of those things that if the fish are seeing them, that conditioning lasts an extra two to three weeks. I think because they are so packed full of nutrient/protein.

Here is an excellent article written by Steve S from FFP on fishing and tying sucker spawn:

http://flyfishersparadise.com/fly-tying/sucker-spawn

Eggs work all the time, maybe better when they are actually in the drift naturally. That said, I abhor them, but use them occasionally. Just put some weight about 4-6 inches above and toss them out with or without your favorite bobber-rig.

"Egg technique" seems to be a little pretentious, but at a minimum an example of overthinking.

I sometimes prefer my eggs poached. Natural cross thread/winter opportunity

Back