Drying Flies

• Thread starter melvinthefisherman
  • Start date
M

melvinthefisherman

So I fished a few days ago with streamers and poppers for bass
I opened up the box today and the streamers are still wet and it wet all the other flies. Some of them have dried with there hair bunched up.
How do you guys dry your flies?

I leave them out of the box over night on my tying desk. They are dry the next morning, then I put them back in the box. Nothing complicated.

I use one of the foam drying patches attached to my pack with Velcro. Replacement patches can be purchased and easily replaced as the old one gets totally chewed up. As I am fishing during an outing all flies that I used get placed on the patch to dry. They stay there until my next outing when I put them all back in their boxes before I start fishing the next time. Keeping them on my pack assures that I always have them all with me on the next trip. You can really extend the life of your flies and hooks by drying them properly.

I have a plastic snuff container with small holes drilled all around the outside through the bottom and through the top. When a fly comes off my line, it goes in the box. If they are still wet at the end of the day, I place them under the heater of the car for the ride home in winter and will sometimes hold them out the window and let the airflow dry them on warmer days. When I get home, I let them finish drying if needed before returning to the boxes.

I have a patch like dc on my bag. Sometimes they're already dry after just an hour or so. If that's the case (and I'm still fishing) I'll put the dry ones away the next time I get out my fly box for a new fly. Otherwise they get put away after I get home or before the next time I go fishing. I like the patch too because often times before an outing I'll pull out a half dozen flies I suspect I may use during the day and put them on there ahead of time...less trips into the bag to get the fly box out.

Bottom line, there's no real secret to dry them out, but just don't put them back in the box until they're dry! If you have some streamers or poppers that dried matted together, just fluff them up with your fingers and they'll be back to normal.

I put them back in the box when I'm done with each fly but i leave the boxes opened up and laying on my car dash when I get home. Seems to work fine. Haven't had any rusty hooks since I started doing it.

I've done the open box thing on my truck dash many times, while on extended fishing trips.
And when I get back home, I set them on a sunny window sill.

If you dunk a fly box, dump them uot on a paper towel. Let them sit overnight. Dry the box the best you can and leave that open overnight. Come morning, bone dry and you get to organize them

I've never had a problem. I put them back in my Richardson from whence they came, and do nothing special. The Richardson is FAR from watertight, which makes it far from airtight too, I think allowing them to dry without wetting other flies. I've even gone down and dunked the thing before, didn't even leave it open overnight. Dry by morning.

Exception: Saltwater. If I fish saltwater, the Richardson and my trout flies do not see the light of day. I fill a small fly box for saltwater use. At the end of each day, the entire box gets hosed, including flies that weren't even used.

I use the dc410 (above) method.
Coughlin

Back