Click pawl

rj32s

rj32s

Hey, guys. I have a quick question I'm hoping anyone can help with.

I have an Orvis Battenkill on my 5wt rod and have been running into the problem that I try to quickly pull line off of my reel to make a longer cast or let line out and it quickly unravels in the reel and tangles.

I'm not using the reel any different than my normal reels, so how do you avoid this?

I spent a lot of time this past weekend pulling the line out and then re-reeling it in.

Help :)
RJ

Hmm. Is the clicker fully engaged on the reel? I haven't had that problem on reels where the clicker is working properly, but I had a click pawl reel where at some point the clicker broke. It wasn't engaging and I was lining myself.

Yeah, it sounds like either the drag is set too low or (like Sasquatch said) the clicker is broken. In either case, a lack of friction on the spool is allowing the reel to get going too fast and "overrun" - the line gets going and starts jumping over itself. Same problem happens in the baitcasting reel world when you don't set your drag properly.

The new Battenkills have a rectangular piece that pushes against the spring. Open the reel and position it so the longest length of the square provides the most tension into the spring.

Failing that, reverse the pawl. The "base" of the triangle is rounded, you want the longer, shallower, slope to be the retreieve, and the shorter, deeper, side to be payout. Compress the spring, slip the pawl off the pin, and reverse it.

The original run of these reels were non-reversible. I believe Orvis will replace the unit for you, YMMV.

Great. Thanks, guys. I appreciate it

Back