Butt, mid, and tippet section HELP !!

S

sampelz9

I am not a beginner, but I was hoping someone can help me with tying my own leaders ? I never tried so I need more guidance . I understand the tippet sizes, but I don't know what lb test to use for the butt, and mid section . Say if I wan't to make a 9ft leader with a 4x tippet , what lb test line will the butt and mid section be ? Also how many inches should the butt, and mid section be ?

All help would be greatly appreciated ! I did download leader calc 2007, but it's not making any sense to me, so please let me see the light haha .

Thank You !

Leader Calc is a good way to go. All you do is click on the drop downs and select the line wt, tippet size, and leader length. It will then give you the length for each section starting from butt to tippet. The line diameter is at the top of each column. If you don't like leader calc, you can always try the Harvey formula.

http://www.riseformstudio.tv/leader_formula.html

I think your mistake is going by lb test instead of line diameter, everything in fly fishing revolves around the diameter.

On the leader calc spreadsheet, the diameters are at the top. The numbers in the data area are then the length of the section at that diameter.

That's exactly where I'm going wrong, I still can't get it lol . I read the manual for leader calc and I still isn't clicking . I'll figure it out eventually. I don't know if I have full access to leader calc . I can use the drop down menus I only see one diameter . I get an error message when I open leader calc .

So I don't know what's going on . Is there a video that explains somewhere ? I checked youtube and they had nothing .

Thanks

My standard trout fishing leader for nymph fishing with a 5 weight line goes something like this:

BUTT: 3' of 40 lb test

BELLY: 2' of 25 lb then 2' of 15lb

TIPPET: 2' of 6lb

I use cheap monofilament spin fishing line for the butt and belly sections. I prefer better quality (but more expensive) fly fishing tippet material for my tippets.

Leader calc is painfully complicated. Simplify. FI's example is succinct.

The "standard" is the George Harvey system:
leaders-joe.gif

Some guy (cough) on the internet explained what he did when he decided he wanted to try "proper" leaders, here, but the chart above is probably the single most important bit.

Yes, download the excel spreadsheet. gfen's post is a screenshot, but there are like 100's of leaders in there.

To explain gfen's screenshot:

The row starting with 0.017, 0.015, etc. are the line diameters in inches. The data below is the length of each segment at those diameters.

So, for example, the first entry on that screenshot is a 9 foot wet fly/emerger leader, and it would be this:

10 inches of 0.017 diameter leader material, 20 inches of 0.015, 20 inches of 0.013, 20 inches of 0.011, 20 inches of 0.009, and 20 inches of 0.008.

Typically, the last section (0.008 in this case), you can sub out with the tippet diameter of your choice, to match the fly.

Also, not that being all that exact is all that important, but remember to allow for knots. So, for instance, if I need a 20" section, I usually cut 22" or so, figuring your gonna lose an inch on each end when you make your knots. Allowing an inch for each knot, I usually end up within an inch. Your mileage may vary depending how much tag end you use on your knots, but you get it right through trial and error (and being exactly at 20" isn't all that important, its just if you always cut to the exact size and end up a few inches short on all of them, then your supposed 9 foot leader turns out at more like 7'6")

You can't go wrong if you use the standard formula of 60% butt, 20% mid and 20% tippet section. You can vary the percentages a bit but be careful not to deviate too far. I use this formula and I can build leaders that turn over well from short (71/2' to 8') to over 15'.

As mentioned earlier, don't concern yourself with lb. test, use diameter. Remember, too, that the old rule of thumb is to use mono coming off the fly line that's about 2/3 the diameter of the line. You can deviate a bit from this, too; however, if you're going to be casting a longer line you should be right at the 2/3 mark for good energy transfer from line to leader.

Dave R.

gfen wrote:

Leader calc is painfully complicated. Simplify. FI's example is succinct.

I just don't understand how a tech guy can say that. Jeez.

Thanks to everyone else that tried to help !

Back