Bug ID

flyfisher101

flyfisher101

The light went off last night as I was walking along the creek looking for rising fish. I always have trouble trying to figure out what is hatching, and have made myself look like a fool on more then one occasion trying to catch a bug to ID.

As I was walking, I noticed a spider web full of flies (I should of took a pic)....the light turned on!!!!

From now on I will be looking alot more for spider webs along fishing spots.

Carlo

Gas stations near the stream too.

Spider webs are often on bridges, and you can also get a good look at the bugs that are flying over the water. I start there.

Another good point Jay. I know Bob at the Neshannock keeps the webs on his shop there for this exact reason. I always walk around his shop looking for what's stuck in them. It's always fun going to the ice cream shop by the river with some bright lights in my area and watch the people run for cover when the Hex's are hatching. "WATCH OUT THOSE THINGS HAVE STINGERS" was one of my favorite reactions :)

How about people running yelling "bat" when the dobsen flies start? The Hardees in town will be covered with them.

flyfisher101 wrote:
I always have trouble trying to figure out what is hatching, and have made myself look like a fool on more then one occasion trying to catch a bug to ID.

I often wonder what people think when they see me wildly swinging my net in the air trying to catch a bug. Often, I'm walking in the water, looking up at my intended target, stumbling over rocks, and falling in holes just to catch the damn thing. I can just imagine hearing them say, "Aww, look there. I think it's great that a mentally challenged, uncoordianted person is enjoying the outdoors".

I often wonder what people think when they see me wildly swinging my net in the air trying to catch a bug. Often, I'm walking in the water, looking up at my intended target, stumbling over rocks, and falling in holes just to catch the damn thing. I can just imagine hearing them say, "Aww, look there. I think it's great that a mentally challenged, uncoordianted person is enjoying the outdoors".

If this happens while you are fishing along a walking or biking trail, and other people who are there also start gazing up and running into things - THEN you'll know you're really a person of influence !!!

It seems like the older I get, the more I become used to making a spectacle of myself, and I'm OK with that.

Weesh wrote:
It seems like the older I get, the more I become used to making a spectacle of myself, and I'm OK with that.

Past 40 its cool not to be cool...

You mean I have to wait another 5 years to be cool? Oh well, my dorkiness lives on!

Sometimes just looking at the front bumper and windshield of my truck can tell me what I need to know.

If there's a styro container of worms on either I figure I'm in the wrong place......

Back