Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bug ID

From Bethlehem
The light went off last night as I was walking along the creek looking for rising fish. I always have trouble trying to figure out what is hatching, and have made myself look like a fool on more then one occasion trying to catch a bug to ID.

As I was walking, I noticed a spider web full of flies (I should of took a pic)....the light turned on!!!!

From now on I will be looking alot more for spider webs along fishing spots.

Carlo

Posted on: 2010/5/27 12:29

Re: Bug ID

From Bozeman
Gas stations near the stream too.

Spider webs are often on bridges, and you can also get a good look at the bugs that are flying over the water. I start there.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 12:34

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Another good point Jay. I know Bob at the Neshannock keeps the webs on his shop there for this exact reason. I always walk around his shop looking for what's stuck in them. It's always fun going to the ice cream shop by the river with some bright lights in my area and watch the people run for cover when the Hex's are hatching. "WATCH OUT THOSE THINGS HAVE STINGERS" was one of my favorite reactions

Posted on: 2010/5/27 12:40

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

How about people running yelling "bat" when the dobsen flies start? The Hardees in town will be covered with them.

Posted on: 2010/5/27 12:55

From Top Dead Center
Quote:

flyfisher101 wrote:
I always have trouble trying to figure out what is hatching, and have made myself look like a fool on more then one occasion trying to catch a bug to ID.

I often wonder what people think when they see me wildly swinging my net in the air trying to catch a bug. Often, I'm walking in the water, looking up at my intended target, stumbling over rocks, and falling in holes just to catch the damn thing. I can just imagine hearing them say, "Aww, look there. I think it's great that a mentally challenged, uncoordianted person is enjoying the outdoors".

Posted on: 2010/5/27 16:57

From SE Pa
Quote:
I often wonder what people think when they see me wildly swinging my net in the air trying to catch a bug. Often, I'm walking in the water, looking up at my intended target, stumbling over rocks, and falling in holes just to catch the damn thing. I can just imagine hearing them say, "Aww, look there. I think it's great that a mentally challenged, uncoordianted person is enjoying the outdoors".

If this happens while you are fishing along a walking or biking trail, and other people who are there also start gazing up and running into things - THEN you'll know you're really a person of influence !!!

Posted on: 2010/5/27 22:15

From Top Dead Center
It seems like the older I get, the more I become used to making a spectacle of myself, and I'm OK with that.

Posted on: 2010/5/28 6:43

From Abington
Quote:

Weesh wrote:
It seems like the older I get, the more I become used to making a spectacle of myself, and I'm OK with that.

Past 40 its cool not to be cool...

Posted on: 2010/5/28 10:05

From Top Dead Center
You mean I have to wait another 5 years to be cool? Oh well, my dorkiness lives on!

Posted on: 2010/5/28 10:50

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Sometimes just looking at the front bumper and windshield of my truck can tell me what I need to know.

If there's a styro container of worms on either I figure I'm in the wrong place......

Posted on: 2010/5/29 14:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
29 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com