Brand new to fly fishing, top 3-5 york area locations?

P

PATroutMan

What are some of the best places for beginner fly fishing in york PA? Also what flies are best for each?

Welcome aboard PaTroutMan.

I can't help ya in the York Pa destinations but I'm sure many will chime in. Considering u r brand new I highly rec the following if u can make it

PAFF Instructional/Newbie Jam 3/15/14

Thank you! I will be sure to look into that

Welcome to the jungle!

+1 for the Newbie Jam. More opportunity to learn in one spot than you will see else where. And there will be on-stream instruction in the afternoon that is absolutely first class.

Muddy Creek Fly Fishing water would be a good place. Trophy Trout Water around Porter Sidling can be good but brushy and a lot of limbs and brush in the water. Just checked it out today and could not believe how trees are in the water from this winter.
I would start out using pheasant tail nymphs and hares ear nymphs if you are new to fly fishing. The best thing to do when you see flies on the water is to catch one of them and try to match it as close as you can with what you have.

PaTroutman,
I live in the Spring Grove area. Sometime if you would like to go, give me a message here and maybe we can hook up. I will try to help you all I can. I have been fly-fishing since 1973

Back