Beginning Fly Fishing For Steelhead Please Help

daman1277

daman1277

Ok the 2nd weekend in Jan. I am heading up to Pulaski, NY for a weekend of steelhead fishing. Have been steelhead fishing several times but with spinning gear using egg sacs mostly. Well now I want to give fly fishing for them a try. What I could really use are suggestions on flies, with pictures preferably. Would like to tie my own but also willing to buy. I know wooly buggers in bright colors like purple and pink work as well as some stonefly patterns. But what else? Pictures please

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/guiding/salmon-and-steelhead.

A variety of standard nymphs work well up there. Little stones, prince nymphs and copper johns all produced in sizes 14 and 16 my last time up. For eggs, tie up some sucker spawn in the standard colors and sizes. A streamer is a streamer... just make sure you get them deep enough.

White wooly bugger, Stealie stoneflies in yellow or orange, and 8mm beads.

middle of january i'd probably stay away from the streamers... there in winter mode and yeah sure when action heats up sure you can get them out of the faster water as they are the fresher/more aggressive fish but that time of year i'd stick to the naturals and small egg patterns. good luck

Back