AM Or PM Fishing

arbor1

arbor1

I'm just wondering when it is best to be out on the water for trout. Is it better in the early morning or later in the day when a hatch could be taking place or doesn't it really matter? I'm a true beginner to all of this and don't really have a clue when its the best time to be out to match the hatch.

Depends on the weather...I just fish when I can...also depends whether you want to fish dries or nymphs or a whole lot of other variables.

Both are good. Nap midday in warm months.

Arbor,
Trout feed 24 hours per day but will often seek the times when water temps are ideal for them (50-65 degrees F). In cold winter weather, mid day is often best because that's when temps are warmest. By summertime, with water temps high, trout feed best in the early morning when it's coolest - or at nightime.
This time of year, with moderate weather, trout fishing is often best in the evenings as this is when insect/hatch activity tends to be highest. Some hatches occur in the morning, such as tricos, but most hatches are heaviest in the evening or right at dusk.

As you spend time on the water, keep your eyes open and observe. I agree w/ fishidiot on the general premis. You will eventually learn what bugs are on the waters you like to fish. A little reading or asking a few questions will help you figure out when specific bugs hatch. If you are there when everything "comes together", it improves your chances of having a banner day. Like tom said, I just get out when I can and that's not much anymore. Spend as much time as you can out there, keep your eyes open... they won't lie to you. I still probably spend more time observing than I do actually casting the rod.

i am a whenever I have a chance. a lot of times that is in the afternoon till sunset.

I think some fish are in a union. cause i will be catching them or at least missing them. then it all stops. and then a little later they will start to feed again. Like they have break time or something

They may be union but it's more likely that they are simply responding to the food supply. Some species of insect hatch early, some hatch late and others hatch all day.

Go to a stream and fish a cahill between 10 am and 2 pm.... you may not even get a fish to look at it. Then, go back to that same stream and fish from 7 pm til dark. I'll bet you see a different reaction to your offering. All of that is based on the water your fishing actually has a cahill hatch. Remember, not every stream has every bug out there.

arbor,
Fill out your profile a little more and give us a location to give you an idea. Jay, Fish and Sight all give good parameters imo. Fishing the Berks Co. area streams this time of year I like late evenings. I can leave the house at 7:00 be suited up and fishing by 7:30, fish until 8:45 or so when they turn off and have a great "day". Conversely I can drive a couple of hours, put in 10 hours and catch the same number of fish +/- a few. I personally find the evening fish to be much more forgiving, as their guard is down a little. Also, if I hit an AM trico hatch I will fish, and fish, and fish even though fishing a stream like the Tully at 11:30 AM in July is almost pointless. If I hit the stream at 7:00 PM there is a definite ending point of the trip (for the most part).

A lot of factors :

Are you a dry fly or nymph purist or are you willing to mix it up?

How do you like fishing tiny flies on long, fine tippet?

When CAN you fish?

jdaddy,
I prefer to fish dry flies right now because I can see what is going on and I have no problem with using a tiny fly. Now as far as when I can fish. It varies, basically whenever I can which is usually evenings and not to often right now. My fishing area right now is the Fly Fishing Area on the Perkiomen that Montgomery County Parks regulate. I am going to try and get out this weekend and try to go later in the evening and then try and give it a shot sometime in the morning one day. Thanks to all the other reply's, it does help me understand this more.

If you like fishing dries and don't have any idea in advance when you'd get out, carry ants, crickets and beetles with you. Fish are always suckers for a land dweller that falls into their stream.

You can pick up a book like... the book from Meck on PA (was looking for the title but the person that borrowed it never gave it back) OR Pennsylvania trout & salmon fishing guide * Mike Sajna OR Trout Streams of Pennsylvania * by a member of the forum (Mr Landis). These will give you some access points and an idea of what insects you may encounter.

You may want to check out Valley Crk, French Crk, Ridley Crk or the Tully.

here's a link for Perk info:
http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=13366&forum=4

"Now as far as when I can fish. It varies, basically whenever I can which is usually evenings"

Well there is your answer! Carry a good selection of caddis and sulphers and you should be golden right now! Perk reportedly has a light Trico hatch in the Summer for early morning fishing.

Thanks! I'll try that, it's all great info!

Back