Already tied my all time season best on days on the water...lol. Still frustrated.

M

mgh-pa

I picked up this sport two years ago. The first year, I got out 3 times (all before May), and caught nothing. Last year, I didn't get out at all (except at the cabin pond where I hooked and landed my first few trout). I decided this winter that I wanted to make a better attempt at getting out this year. Hung up my neoprene waders, and bought a pair of DryPlus chest waders, and invested in some Korker Metalheads to sort of put a financial motivation to get out more. First time on the water this spring was in March on spring creek (also a first for me), and I landed my first stream trout (and first on a nymph)..a nice 12" brown. Went out on opening day here last weekend, and got skunked (albeit only for two hours), and today I got out for the third time...this time I ventured out on my own, and decided to hit up a section on Lycoming as per the advice of MKern. Super nice section of stream...very peaceful. Water is very low, however, and I didn't see a fish. Finished the afternoon just downstream of the DHALO section at the Haleeka bridge. Got really excited as the fish were rising in front of (couldn't tell what it was honestly since I didn't see a hatch). Cast after cast (which I do think is getting better), and not a thing (a bit frustrating). Meanwhile, another fisherman just upstream in the DHALO section pulled in two...again further emphasizing my terribleness:)

So, I'm enjoying myself, but the slow progress is frustrating. I feel like I can't read the water, and I find myself second guessing how much I should fish a stretch before moving on, or even if I should skip it all together. So in 6 total trips in my three year career, I've landed one, and hooked/lost one other (my first year). Not great. A lot of times I really wish I had someone on the water to give me the most basic pointers about my cast, drift, identifying certain water, etc.

The important part is that you are enjoying yourself in spite of the frustration.
If you can make it to the Little Lehigh on May 5th, Foxgap239 is going to be there to work with some newbies. He can really help you out.

There will also be a lot of replies to your post with great advice from the more knowledgeable members of this forum. This forum is a great resource for newbies like us.

Hang in there, enjoy the time on the water!

Dave

mgh-pa wrote:
So, I'm enjoying myself, but the slow progress is frustrating. I feel like I can't read the water, and I find myself second guessing how much I should fish a stretch before moving on, or even if I should skip it all together. So in 6 total trips in my three year career, I've landed one, and hooked/lost one other (my first year). Not great. A lot of times I really wish I had someone on the water to give me the most basic pointers about my cast, drift, identifying certain water, etc.

Don't get discouraged. Skunkings happen. Forget about how many fish you've caught the times you've been fishing. It doesn't matter.
I've been FFing a long time and today I got out for a couple hours on streams that had been recently stocked and I couldn't catch a trout to save my life. The fish were there - I could see them. I just couldn't catch them.
Djs12354 is correct - enjoy the experience. Take some time to watch the water and watch other FFers and observe how they cast and approach water. Fly fishing is challenging.

Find a mentor. I had one when I started, and now I am one.

The best part of flyfishing is thst your never really done learning. There is always a new skill set or way of fishing a particular fish that you dont know or good at. I love this aspect. But also I like making my own way and never really had a mentor. Nor felt I need 1. But I have noticed I f ya fish with "fishy" people you fish up to there level when your a novice. And a quaility fly shop is a encyclopedia of knowledge. And hang out there and soak it all in. Youll have to wade though the B.S. that always spewd. But there are fishing lessons that can be learned with out even holdin a rod.

Paco is right. It's fishin...it should be FUN, and it isn't necessarily all about "catchin." "Learnin" is often more satisfying than just "catchin" and, in the long run, it will lead to progressively more success catchin.

In fact, often the greatest satisfaction comes when the fishin is the toughest and you put the pieces of the puzzle together to find success.

mgh,

Next time I spend a weekend at my parents' we will go fishing. This time of year is difficult on Lycoming because the fish hold together where they were stocked and those spots are usually crowded.

The fish by the DH are some of the most difficult fish to catch and I call Powey's Curve "aggrivation corner."

MKern wrote:
mgh,

Next time I spend a weekend at my parents' we will go fishing. This time of year is difficult on Lycoming because the fish hold together where they were stocked and those spots are usually crowded.

The fish by the DH are some of the most difficult fish to catch and I call Powey's Curve "aggrivation corner."

Sounds good.

I really feel like my casting is getting a little better. I just have a lot of trouble with presentation and locating the fish:)

Find someone to show you around. Ask around the site. Have them take you to a nice open brookie stream. You'll catch some fish and learn a lot about presentation, casting, etc. Or head to a small pond and have your luck at some bluegill and bass. EVERYONE has gone through the same thing and you'll be looking back on this post and laughing in no time.

Just keep enjoying it!

Back