About as Newbie as you can get here!

kdill

kdill

Hello Everyone!
I have read just about everything i have gotten my hands on about FFing including this amazing forum with an infinite amount of knowledge. I became interested in FFing from starting to fish with my cousins. They took me to the beach to fish and i fell in love with fishing but i felt like at times it got boring sitting and waiting but then i discovered FFing and i have been eager to try it. What i'm wondering is if it is possible to Fly Fish with little experience in fishing. I got my Fly rod in december and have been itching to break it out and use it this spring! Any advice for a Newbie in the lancaster area as to where to start or the best way to learn. Is there any FFishermen in the lancaster area willing to help me learn? Hearing from all of you guys about the thrills of FFing has only excited me more!

Yes, it's possible. Success increases with experience. Forever. Which is why it hooks guys for life, if you've been doing this for 30 years you're still getting better at it.

But everyone starts with zero experience (some start with spinning gear experience, which helps for some things, and hurts for others).

My advise would be to get a casting lesson or two. Many reputable fly shops can set this up. This board also has occasional "newbie lessons", the first of the spring has already passed. But keep on the board and we usually have another event in the summer (called the newbie brush-up day). This will take place in Allentown, but we have other events throughout the year and throughout the state. Most aren't focused on newbies, but they are welcome, and pretty much everyone on the board is willing and loves to help out.

I'd also say that a trip or two with an experienced member from your area helps a lot. Start off in the "easy" areas, meaning bigger water with more casting room. And don't be afraid to go to a bluegill pond for practice. They may not be the most prestigious target. But they are numerous and willing, and as far as the basics of casting and hooking fish they are as good as it gets at shortening the learning curve.

kdill wrote:
What i'm wondering is if it is possible to Fly Fish with little experience in fishing.

Yes. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

welcome!! I was in the same boat as you, I just picked up FFing this year but I have fished with spinning rods my whole life. I went out 4 times by myself and never got a bite, on the 5th day I met a guy on the water who spent most of his day teaching me and showing me what, how, and why to do things. I got myself hooked on a fish within 1 hours of fishing with him. I have now been able to go out by myself and know what to look for and what to throw at them to get one hooked.

That would be my best advise, find someone who can show you.

Also don't be afraid to ask questions to people on the water, that is how I met the guy who taught me, I watched him fish for 20 min, every 5 to 10 casts he would reel something in. Coming from someone who never had a bite I asked him what he was using. He told me what he was using and I explained to him that I was new and had no idea what I was doing. He dropped everything he was doing and told me his goal was to get me hooked on a fish that day. I got 4 total that day. People on the water are more than willing to help don't be afraid to ask. and ask questions on here people will again be more than happy to help.

Good luck out there, it only gets better from here on out!

Orvis shops offer free beginner lessons, Fly fishing 101 & 102.

If you live near one, give them a call

CathyG wrote:
Orvis shops offer free beginner lessons, Fly fishing 101 & 102.

If you live near one, give them a call

I looked into that because some of the other posts had said about that unfortunately the one in my area doesn't offer it but there is one an hour away that i think i'm going to go to because i know it will be well worth my time and travel!

Thanks everyone for your advice I'll keep you all informed of my progress!

Welcome to the Jungle!

The casting lessons are a great place to start. As Pcray said, if you have a local pond to go for practice after your lessons, pan fish will help you learn to target fish and help with hooksetting

Keep your eyes peeled for the Newbie Brush Up. Next the Newbie Jam, its one of the greatest opportunities to learn you will encounter.

Welcome aboard and to ffing. Enjoy your time in the beginning of this long journey. You will look fondly back at them.

It's not as difficult as some fly fishermen would lead you to believe. Buy a rod, watch youtube, observe other fly fishermen on the water, and enjoy. I took it up about a year ago after spending 40 years fishing without. i believe its a whole lot easier catching fish on a fly rod then a spinning rod but slightly more difficult to cast. A couple hours in the back yard will get you started. A summer on the water will have you on your way. Casting lessons are not needed unless your after instant gratification.

i live in lancaster im pretty new to the forum but have been fly fishing and tying for about 10 years if you would like to meet up and fish let me know there are plenty of good places close by to fish

Welcome to the forum kdill.

kdill wrote:

What i'm wondering is if it is possible to Fly Fish with little experience in fishing.

Yep ... 24 months ago I was 41 and never picked up a fishing rod, of any kind, in my life. 2 years later I love this thing, have met a bunch of guys I consider friends and mentors and just started tying. Stick arnd here, ask all the questions u may have and just enjoy any and all time u have on the H20.

Again, welcome to PAFF!

lancastertyer wrote:
I live in lancaster im pretty new to the forum but have been fly fishing and tying for about 10 years if you would like to meet up and fish let me know there are plenty of good places close by to fish
that sounds like a great idea! Is there a way on here to exchange contact information?

Back