4th day in a row

wetboot

wetboot

and no fish!!!! i know im a newbie to fly fishing but come on!!! i should be able to catch a stockie!!! lol getting pretty frustrated....

Bah ha ha ha! I just made a similar post! I got the skunk yesterday, and the day before I caught one fish in 3 hours! This sport if frustrating sometimes. I'm sure it'll start to make sense if we just keep putting our time in...

What are you trying to catch them on?

haha i know...glad im not the only one lol ive never even caught a trout on a fly yet!! but i used glo bugs mostly tied on a couple nymphs still nothing haha

Oh so you're just starting out? Winter's a rough time to learn to fly fish, I think. I've been at it for like 8 months now, and I can tell you that I had a lot more fun learning when it was warmer outside. The fish are a lot more active even in the heat of summer than in the winter.

Plus when it's warm you can use dry flies, which in my experience is easier and a lot more fun! Also when it's warm out you can catch some sunnies after getting skunked! Lol. Makes those tough days a little better if you can at least get something!

I haven't had any luck with glo-bugs, but I've heard they work for some people. If I catch anything (which feels really rare lately), I catch them on scuds or hare's ear nymphs. Also found a pattern called "czech mate" that seems to work well, at least on the stream I fish.

Dudes don't get frustrated. I've been FFing for over 15 years and I still get a skunking streak going on. In fact, if I didn't catch trout on my last outing, it would have been 4 in a row for me too. Winter is a beotch. Keep working on it. The fish will eventually come, but learn to enjoy fly fishing for many reasons, not just the fish. A day on the water will start to become a reward in and of itself.

yeah jeremy i know ha but i dont want to wait til spring or summer to learn ha but im still learning what flys to use and what not ha its like learning to fish all over again but yea i keep hearing about these hares ear nymphs but have no idea what they look like haha

but thanks for the reasurring squatch....it jus frustrates me cause i usually catch fish on the spinning reel but i hear catching a trout on the fly is better then catching 20 on bait

Wetboot, it happens to all of us. I have been FF for 41 yrs. Last March I took a good friend of mine trout fishing. He is a newbie. He caught 15 fish and I caught 1. Oh well. It happens. At this time of year and early Spring I would recomend trying some small nymphs. size 16 or 18 pheasant tails or Hairs ear. The Hairs ear has been around forever and always produces. I know you said you are not sure what that is. Just google it. Or even better if you have a local fly shop. Stop by and ask for help. Most guys at fly shops are very helpful and should be able to give some good advice. As some of the other guys mentioned Winter fishing can be tough. Especially when temps are changing. I usually do not go on that 1st nice day. Which seems like the thing to do. But it usally means snow melt. Snow melt adds cold water to the stream and makes for sluggish fish. Keep up your hard work and good luck.

Gencon

After a major warmup and snow melt IMO it's best to let the water temp stabilize for a couple days before fishing. Let the trout adjust to the new temp. and usually the fishing(catching) will be better. ;-)

4 days in a row aint to bad. Wait till your 3-4 weeks without a fish. Thats a slump. I have been through that lol. I like to goto a brookie stream to shake the skunk. Usually can pick up one or two in my local brookie stream. It tough in the winter also.

Just remember you picked a tough time to start. I remember when I started ffing I came close to saying enough I'm done, my tenth time out still no fish! Was at my truck taking off my neoprene chest waders ( ouch ) The look on my face must have said I'm done cause an older gentleman stopped and asked how I did. Told him doesn't matter cause I'm done, he asked me what's going on. So I told him everything including the fact that I was done with it. He asked me if I had another hour or so and to put the waders back on. Three fish in 45 minutes with him showing me what to do I couldn't believe it! On the way back to the truck he asked what I thought of fly fishing now, it's almost 25 years later... Oh one more thing he also told me if you're going to fly fish you must start to tie. Really glad he was there that day, probably would have kept going with it but you never know. I think of him almost every time I step in a stream.

ha thanks for all the encouraging words fellas much appreciated...i know if i keep stickin at it it will eventually pay off jus like anything else ha...lv2nymph soon as i get my tax return i planned on bidding on a couple fly tying lots on ebay....but thanks again gentlemen

wetboot wrote:
and no fish!!!! i know im a newbie to fly fishing but come on!!! i should be able to catch a stockie!!!

Are you sure there any stockies around? You haven't mentioned the stream. When was it stocked last?

it doesn't matter how many fish you catch it is how good you look doing it. winter is tough.

try more weight to get on the bottom, at least this way you can catch suckers.

wetboot wrote:
tuesday feb 5th shenango river

Maybe someone else knows when this was stocked last, or maybe you can find that info on the PFBC website.

If it hasn't been stocked since last spring, it's very likely that in your 4 days fishing there, not a single trout has seen your flies. Because they aren't there.

Learning when and where to fish is more important than anything else. You have to figure out where the trout are.

Don't burn yourself out now, when the stream probably does not have any trout, and when the water is still very cold.

Save some energy for when the fishing conditions are actually good.

Squatch wrote:

but learn to enjoy fly fishing for many reasons, not just the fish. A day on the water will start to become a reward in and of itself.

Take these words to heart. I never fished in my life and picked up a fly rod for the first time last April. It was (and continues) to be frustrating fishing for trout and excluding my 1st I caught by 'accident ' with Volks last April ..... I went all the way until late fall/ early winter until I caught another .. tho I had great success with WW.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to fish as much and hone my skills to where I would like them to be so ... each and every time I'm on a stream I make sure to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of being outdoors on the h2o.

mutzinbaugh wrote:
it doesn't matter how many fish you catch it is how good you look doing it. winter is tough.

Your starting to get it. Like I said before. I look good and catch fish. :cool:

Phish_On wrote:
mutzinbaugh wrote:

I look good and catch fish. :cool:
Me too! You gotta look good when you flyfish. :lol:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Phish_On wrote:
mutzinbaugh wrote:

I look good and catch fish. :cool:
Me too! You gotta look good when you flyfish. :lol:

That's right!

Back