0 for 2

djs12354

djs12354

Took a ride to the Little Lehigh today (Sunday, 4/1) and took the skunk again. Looks like I need some serious work on nymphing skills and on recognizing what the fish may be taking off the surface.I had on small BWO spinners and elk hair caddis dries that led to one miss on my part and about 4 or 5 times where the trout came up to the fly and refused it.

Water was clear and fish were active. My skills were just not up to the task.

On the plus side, got to watch Wharfrat catch one fish after another just a short distance away. Good to meet the gentleman and converse with him while enjoying a day on the water. Of course, he was enjoying the day a little more than I was.

Also caught up with Heritage Angler, who had come by to drop off some flies for me and return a cooler and containers. I guess this means I need to fill them again and send them back to him.

Maybe next time..........

Don't get discouraged! That's what they told me! I mean, I'm still not catching anywhere close to what the other guys are, but I'm starting to hook them, and that's half the figurative battle! Persistence will pay off...

Hey Gaeron,

I'm not discouraged, disappointed, maybe....:)

Persistant-----Well, I'm either stubborn or stupid, but I'll be back at it, first chance I get. After all, hope springs eternal.....

gaeronf wrote:
Don't get discouraged! That's what they told me! I mean, I'm still not catching anywhere close to what the other guys are, but I'm starting to hook them, and that's half the figurative battle! Persistence will pay off...

Dave, let's get H-A and the gang together soon for another day on the water. I'll PM you with my results for today.

Yeah, we should set something up. Next Saturday, maybe?

We'll teach those fish some manners. ;-)

We should put something together & get the beginners together for a day of fishing if some are in range of each other ... Lil Lehigh seemed to work well for many

Joined: 3/22 8:26 Posts: 33 We should put something together & get the beginners together for a day of fishing if some are in range of each other ... Lil Lehigh seemed to work well for many Posted on: Today 21:04

I'm game I've been itching to fish the LL again since the newbie jam.

If you guys want to get together this Saturday at the Little Lehigh, that's fine with me.

Let us know if you can make it - let's say 9AM by the fly shop. We'll go over your gear to make sure everything is OK, and do some casting if you'd like. We can go over nymphing and dry fly fishing, too. Anyone is welcome for this. Think of this as a post-Newbie Jam "checkup".

Fox - you up for this? If we can get a few experienced guys to help out, we can work with everyone individually. I'd really like to get the confidence level of these guys up before the upcoming hatches.

I'm totally up for it except for the fact that once again I'll be in Centre County for the weekend. They are right on the edge of success, I can feel it and I'd love to be there when it "clicks".

Foxgap239 wrote:
I'm totally up for it except for the fact that once again I'll be in Centre County for the weekend.

Yer killin' me! I got invited to hit the Little J this weekend, but I've gotta stay close to home to take care of my sick 4 legged kid.

Priorities - you know how it goes.

Any experienced guys wanna help some newbies out on Saturday?

Push it off a week or have a second session next Saturday and I'm there. Grannoms are coming off on Penn's and I can't resist the pull. Plus as you know, i got a new toy being delivered to camp.

Hmmmm. I can do the 14th after lunchtime, or so. I'll let the newbies decide....

That would be great if we put it together and some of the experienced guys have the patience to give us newbies some pointers/time ... this weekend doesn't work for me (not that that should stop anyone) as I am going to LI for passover

I missed the first one. If a second gathering is held I'll do my best to be there.

Where is the fly shop?

Hey DJS,

It was great meeting you also. I think the success I had on Sunday had more to do with the fact that I was nymphing most of the time while you were fishing on top. I did pick one up on a size 20 tan caddis and msised about 3 others, but the pheasant tail with a WD40 dropped off of the bend was deadly.

It was great to meet Heritage Angler also and pick his brain a little bit. He has some great insight on the LL and the hatches coming back . I hope to meet up with him sometime and learn some more.

Wish I could make it Saturday but I have family obligations. Maybe next time.

Might be able to do a few hour Saturday morning but really want too hit another stream.

Can't decide.

I gotta clone me.

RCFetter wrote:
Where is the fly shop?

Click here for directions to the fly shop.

It's the Heritage Fly Shop on the Little Lehigh, and no, I don't have any connection to it other than the fact that a good friend of mine owns the business.

H.A.

Do we have a consensus on date yet? This Saturday or next?

i'd be in for a newby get together again

Back