Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

iPhone Fishing App Testers Needed

From Warrington
I am looking for 3-5 serious Pennsylvania anglers who are also savy about their iPhones to help me test the latest version of the GPS Fishing Guide to Pennsylvania for iPhone.

Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to pay you however if you would like to help me build the best fishing app possible, I could use your help.

Please understand that I will be giving preference to those who alreay own the app but am willing to entertain others. The key is that you are willing to communicate directly with me and play extensively with the app.

This new version is so loaded with features that I cannot possible test it completely on my own prior to release. I want to wrap up the update and make it available to all by mid March so my timeline is short.

If interested, please use the pulldown where UMFGuy is listed and click email. Put "iPhone Tester" in the subject line and we'll start a dialogue. You may also us "PM" (Personal Message) but email is the best way to get started.

UFMGuy - Mike G.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 9:57

Re: iPhone Fishing App Testers Needed

From Couldn't Care Less
What about droid users and what are you looking for exactly re: testing?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:00

From Lehigh Valley, PA
Definitely interested....tried PMing you just let me know what I need to do

Posted on: 2013/2/20 11:12

"A trout is a moment of beauty known only to those who seek it."

From Clearfield
I'll try it

Posted on: 2013/2/20 12:23

From Harrisburg
Very cool! I can't wait to hear about the new features

Additionally, as an illustrator, I can help provide any graphics that might be necessary

Posted on: 2013/2/20 12:25

From Warrington
Stagger Lee

I'll be starting the Android version update as soon as all the bugs are worked out on iPhone.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:00

From Butler, Pa
So in, pm sent

Posted on: 2013/2/20 15:11

From LV
Can these apps be used on a tablet?

Posted on: 2013/2/20 17:37

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
how much cash does it take to build a app like this/ I may be interested.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 18:52

From Warrington
The apps do work on tablets. They are really designed for devices with GPS receivers. In the Apple world, WiFi iPads do not have these receivers but 3G/4G iPads do. If you pay a phone provider a monthly fee to connect your tablet, it should have a GPS. It's basically the same in Android. it's all dependent on the actual model of the device and whether it's connected or Wifi.

If you load the app on a non-GPS device, it still works but you can't use it for effective navigation which is the real cornerstone of the app. You can still get directions and routing but it won't follow you turn-by-turn.

The new version will also function as a handheld GPS in the field which would not function without a GPS receiver.

Posted on: 2013/2/20 18:53

From Lancaster County
From a software development perspective, why would you put resources into developing a turn-by-turn GPS navigation app, when Google provides one free of charge? Do you think that you can make a better GPS app than Google or Apple (well, on the case of the latter and Apple Maps, the answer would probably be yes)? Why not put your resources into developing a platform to visualize data, instead of into a commodity function, such as turn-by-turn directions?

I'm not trying to be critical (I am a critical thinker, though); it just seems given X capital, one could invest part of X into reinventing the wheel and the rest into visualization of fishing data, or invest all of X into the visualization of fishing data, building on what other companies have already done..

Posted on: 2013/2/20 19:15

From Warrington
Your points are well taken. Actually the app is designed exactly as you suggest.

All navigation is provided by the existing Google Maps app or Apple navigation and the app is designed to visualize the data however it also passes specific latitude and longitude coordinates as destinations to the supplied navigation software. If you look at the two key questions as follows.

1. "Where do I fish?" is answered by the app and its data

2. "How do I get there?" is answered with the destinations data provided to the navigation software from the app.

Suggestions are always welcome!

Posted on: 2013/2/20 21:11

From Lancaster County
Got it - I misread your post to say that you were developing the turn-by-turn navigation, not relying on existing services (and of course, neither existing services nor anything you might develop would work very well if the device didn't have a GPS chip in it).

Posted on: 2013/2/20 21:17

From Warrington
marcq

If you've got $50k plus thousands of hours of your own time to invest, you could build an app like this. It's a commitment and not just a project.

Through this app, I've developed a very unique platform for delivering quality mapping and navigation along with locattion specific information to allow users to make informed decisions about their destinations.

I am leveraging this unique platform to provide similar apps for businesses and government agencies which I can now do at far less cost.

I am already the developer of the PA Game Commission's app which evolved from this project. Their app will also benefit from the newest developments in this app. Apps require continuous attention and must evolve to be successful.

If you want to get into this business, I warn you, it's not a hobby! Sure you can build an app cheaply but that is why there are so many "Crap Apps" out there. I won't go there!

If you want to get in on the testing, please email or PM me.

Posted on: 2013/2/21 6:47

From Warrington
I have already chosen the first four iPhone testers for Round 1 of app testing which has already started.

For those who are still wondering, I will be adding to this list after the next update. If you haven't sent me the information I requested, please do so ASAP.

If you've been waiting to put your name in, please do so quickly. This is moving rapidly!

Mike G.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 17:49

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com