Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: iPhone Fishing App Testers Needed

From Pittsburgh
Is this for the Fish PA GPS guide on the app store that is $24.99? If it is and may I put in a suggestion for this. I have been on the fence about buying this app for a few months as the expense of it is pretty high compared to other apps. I don't want to pay $25 for something that you cant try before you buy it. Maybe add a 3 day trial to the app so we can try this before paying the full fee?

If it is worth it I would gladly pay for this app.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 14:48

From NC PA Mountains
I'm just a stupid older guy..what does this thing do that will make me a better flyfisher?

Posted on: 2013/2/24 15:07

From Monessen, PA
You don't need it if you know all the streams. It is a mapping/plotting program. You will still be as poor an angler as ever.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 18:15

From Warrington
eblack

Unfortunately, the way apps are distributed, there is really no way to offer a short trial as you suggest. I wish I could do something like that but it's just not feasable.

You are correct that this is the Fish PA - GPS Guide.

The unfortunate thing about apps is that all these free and low cost apps make it difficult for a guy like me. You probably wouldn't flinch at paying the same price for a good book. You've probably got a DeLorme atlas at $19.95 and a Higbee map as well. For me, there'smore work in this than I would have invested writing a book. In addition, I think the new mapping will make Delorme unnecessary by giving you 7.5 minute topo's.

Brad

The app will put you on fish and allow you to explore more new streams than you can fish in a lifetime. Will it make you a better flyfisher?

Only experience can do that.

Posted on: 2013/2/24 18:23

From Elizabethtown
It appears as though there already is an android app with that name. Would it be the same app that you're working on for the crapple users?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 2:08

From Warrington
I will be updating the Android app to the same version level as the iPhone.

Apple is much stricter than Android in terms of design criteria, functionality and the app approval process so I do all my updates on Apple first then emulate them on Android. This is the most cost and time effective approach and lets me focus on app quality.

Because of the way the Android platform works and the diversity of devices out there, Android does have some limitations but please don't think I make any judgements. There are plenty of "crappie apps" out there on both platforms. I just don't want users the think any of my apps are "crappie" on either so I approach the development process slowly and methodically.

This makes for a better user experience for everyone.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 6:50

From Camp Hill, PA
I design interfaces for iPhone Apps...so I would enjoy at least seeing what you are doing and might be able to help. I would enjoy testing if you still need additional input.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 9:40

From Butler, Pa
I've used it twice since I got it last night, and its worth every penny. Info is very accurate and ease of use is great

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:07

From Harrisburg
Will this update be included/free for previous purchasers?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 17:56

From Warrington
Updates are free to all existing customers.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 19:26

From Harrisburg
Great; seeing as it is being consistently updated and cared for, I purchased last night!

My quick opinion (and my bias as well) is that it needs a graphical overhaul. I would've bought sooner if it didn't look like a bunch of text screens in the preview. As it is, the information is wonderful but the delivery is a little dry. Love what is there so far, however!

In future versions, I would be so very happy if I could input specific coordinates of my own holes and favorite spots to park/fish. Let's say I find said hole - I'd like to pull the phone out, take a picture, and have that information for me if I need/want to come back to the place.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 16:12

From Warrington
Gorosaurus

I think you'll be pleased with the update! There's a waypoint function that allows you to do what you are talking about. You can set points on specific holes and record notes or fishing logs for each spot. You can even share those waypoints and notes with friends.

The new version in the works is designed as a graphical map interface rather than a just a menu but retains the menu interface as an additional way to target or search specific criteria.

The good news is that the testers are impressed so far and haven't found much in the way of issues so I'm hoping to be able to release it sooner than planned if everything keeps going well.

PS Thanks for buying it!

Posted on: 2013/2/26 16:53

From Couldn't Care Less
UFMguy ... when ur ready with droid keep me in mind and send me a pm. Im very interested especially if the feedback is/seems to be positive.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 16:57

From Harrisburg
Great to hear, UFM! Where, by the way, does some of the location information come from?

I know you mentioned earlier that you use some google earth searching and such, but are there other guys helping you out?

Posted on: 2013/2/26 21:57

From Warrington
Gorosaurus

Let's take this dialogue into the PM world. I'm not sure it's appropriate for the General Forum. I'll answer in your PM.

Others

if you disagree and want to listen in, then we'll move it back here. Post your thoughts

Posted on: 2013/2/27 7:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com