Wounded Warriors Weekend Event

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

This past weekend our Centre County Rod & Gun club partnered with our neighbor club in hosting 8 Wounded Warriors, otherwise known as “Heroes”, for a weekend of bird hunting and fishing. They were members of a group called Wounded Warriors in Action which exclusively supports veterans wounded in action. I can’t give you any first-hand details as to how the hunt went but I can tell you the fishing was a blast. We were given access to a private stretch of water leased by one Mr. Donnie Beaver. Say what you want about him (and I often do) but he stepped up for our heroes this past weekend. I think only 1 of the 8 had ever picked up a fly rod so we spent time Friday afternoon giving casting lessons on our stocked pond. We had 2 groups of 4, one group hunted the morning Saturday and the other fished, and they swamped in the afternoon. Some fish were caught but a ton of laughs were had! We made 8 new friends this weekend and all were invited to check out this website if they have interest in learning more about fly fishing.

I can tell you that even though we were the hosts, those heroes gave us much more, before and during their visit, than we even scratched the surface on giving them. I cannot tell you how rewarding this weekend was for me and the members of our clubs.

To all our service men and women, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Foxgap239 wrote:
We were given access to a private stretch of water leased by one Mr. Donnie Beaver. Say what you want about him (and I often do) but he stepped up for our heroes this past weekend.

Would these same Wounded Warriors be allowed to fish that water next weekend?

Sounds terrific. Thanks for volunteering your time.

Would these same Wounded Warriors be allowed to fish that water next weekend?

Not without a hefty fine. Unless he was getting his name in the paper again....them Maybe just Maybe.

I saw you guys this weekend... I always stop and get out of my car on the shoulder to look into that creek. Mighty fine looking water there. But I am just a mere peasant so I never had the opportunity to fish it.

Probably trying to get some good publicity.
I guess it worked. Thanks for helping the vets, Fox.

Yeah, thats the one.
How much charity was involved before Da Beavs company and name were so despised?
Good for the warriors atleast.

Foxy Kudos to you and everybody else.... I agree when you say its very rewarding it is ..
I got involved with PHWFF 2 years and it has been a true labor of love.. I enjoy every minute I spend with the guys whether it be on the stream or at the VA tying with them..

We are headed to Penns tomorrow for the week with a group of guys from Erie and Buffalo NY. I am so looking forward to it

Keep up the awesome work

I had the pleasure to be there with Fox and I just want to say that it was an honor to spend time with the Heroes and that Fox most definitely was the entertainment around the camp fire on Saturday night. I am looking forward to next year.

Back