Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

Re: Warm Water Mini- JAM 7 August 2010

From Bozeman
If the spinning rod is needed salvage the day, it must be done.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 9:58

Where in the hell do I get a bamboo spinning rod? Do they make silk line for spinning rods?

Posted on: 2010/7/14 10:09

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Where in the hell do I get a bamboo spinning rod? Do they make silk line for spinning rods?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:24

A few red & white Heddon poppers and I'll be in business. Leaving the pontoon at home and taking a canoe carved from the trunk of a tree. Coon hat is optional.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:39

From Lancaster
Great idea! I'm in. I'll be paddling my solo boat.

If I had to choose between a 5 wt and a 9wt, I'd definitely go with the 5. I'll be fishing a 6wt. which is as heavy as I'll go for summer smallies.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 13:54

From Gettysburg
While I'll be bringing only fly rods for this trip I certainly don't personally object to anyone spin fishing. When I float big rivers I often take a fly rod for bass and a big baitcaster for muskies. For some guys this may be the only chance they get to bass fish a big river this year and spin gear (usually) makes for easier fishing and it's just as fun. And if you've really got the itch to pick a fight with a muskie spin gear will definitely improve the odds. PM me if you'd like more info about lures and spin gear for the Juniata.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 15:29

From Delaware Co.
Click to see original Image in a new window

NUFF SAID

Posted on: 2010/7/15 18:54

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Coon hat is optional.

I can lend you one of those, if you'll lend me the 'toon.

Better yet, LL can paddle us all in that new drift boat you're convincing him to buy.

Posted on: 2010/7/15 19:23

From Elizabethtown, PA
Geesh Tim way make me rethink using the 9wt now I'm not sure if I should use my 9wt or my 5wt!!! 5wt would be more fun when I hook into a smallie but harder to cast any thing other then a woolly bugger. Then the 9wt should be able to cast any thing and handle any thing larger like a muskie... hmmm...

But Ill be bringing spin gear as well. I love catching ANY THING on a crankbait.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 1:11

From Lancaster
The 9wt will definitely handle larger flies, but throwing heavy line weights isn't much fun for me. If you are floating, casting distance isn't a big issue. If you are wading, that's a little different. This is all assuming you are fishing for smallies...

You could fish the 9 during the day and switch to your 5 in the evening if there's much surface activity for bugs.

I'm pretty certain I'll be there. Assuming I am, I can loan you a 7wt. outfit for the day. That would be a good compromise for you. I'll probably bring a spare 6wt. as well.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 8:28

From Gettysburg
Bassist,
Fly rod choice is obviously a matter pf personal preferance. If I had to choose between a 5wt and a 9wt I'd actually choose the 9 merely because I'd rather be overgunned than under. Take both rods out in the backyard and cast your favorite bass flies and see how they cast. Lotsa guys like small bass flies but my preferance for river smallies leans toward flies that are quite heavy and large. Although the average river smallie is about 10" and well matched to a 5wt, forget about throwing muskie flies with a 5wt. Even if you aren't interested in muskies, channel cats and carp are much more numerous than muskies and if the water is clear you should get shots at them and a 9WT would likely be better. Of course, if you're wade fishing, bring both in your car and you can always walk back and swap one for the other or cache one on the shoreline while fishing with the other - just be aware that much of the shoreline along the Juniata is poison ivy.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 8:36

From Chester County
I do most all my big river SMB fishing with an 8wt. I cast some heavy and/or wind resistant flies and even a 10-12" SM will put a nice bend in your rod. If I were to chose between a 5 & an 9, I would chose the 9wt. The heavier rod can do more. I would have trouble casting half the flies in my bass fly box with a 5wt. If in the future you are buying a bass rod, a 7wt is near ideal since it works for smaller river and streams as well as big water.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 8:44

From Lancaster
It also depends on conditions. If it's very windy or the water is high and off-color, the 9wt or spin gear would be the better choice. But at that point the better choice might be sitting around drinking a brew If the water is low and clear (my favorite conditions), the 9wt is likely to spook more fish. In typical mid-summer conditions, I catch far more fish with smaller flies and lighter line weights.

Conventional wisdom says an 8wt for bass fishing. Years ago, I followed that wisdom and found that it worked in the days when smallies would hit anything. I haven't fished an 8wt. for bass in at least a dozen years. But I don't use conventional bass patterns much either. Buggers, dries, and a few floating minnow patterns work well for me.

In low/clear conditions, or when fishing over smaller, more selective populations (the norm these days) I catch more fish with lighter line weights. I once fished a flying ant "hatch" on the Susky, where I had to go back to the car and get a 4wt with 5x tippet. They were feeding everywhere, but wouldn't touch anything delivered with a 6wt. Killed em after going to a 4wt. You just never know....

A lighter presentation works well on heavily-pressured or cautious smallies.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 10:31

From Chester County
Quote:

TimB wrote:
It also depends on conditions. If it's very windy or the water is high and off-color, the 9wt or spin gear would be the better choice. But at that point the better choice might be sitting around drinking a brew If the water is low and clear (my favorite conditions), the 9wt is likely to spook more fish. In typical mid-summer conditions, I catch far more fish with smaller flies and lighter line weights.

Conventional wisdom says an 8wt for bass fishing. Years ago, I followed that wisdom and found that it worked in the days when smallies would hit anything. I haven't fished an 8wt. for bass in at least a dozen years. But I don't use conventional bass patterns much either. Buggers, dries, and a few floating minnow patterns work well for me.

In low/clear conditions, or when fishing over smaller, more selective populations (the norm these days) I catch more fish with lighter line weights. I once fished a flying ant "hatch" on the Susky, where I had to go back to the car and get a 4wt with 5x tippet. They were feeding everywhere, but wouldn't touch anything delivered with a 6wt. Killed em after going to a 4wt. You just never know....

A lighter presentation works well on heavily-pressured or cautious smallies.

I've fished small for smallies in some small streams, but never on the bigger rivers. Sounds like fun!

I have resorted to smaller nymphs dead-drifted when things are slow.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 11:25

From Elizabethtown, PA
Oh man poison ivy, looks like I'm wearing waders.

Ill bring both rods. Bought a new reel for my 5wt so I want put it to the "test."

Posted on: 2010/7/16 15:00

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 12 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
91 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com