Volunteers fishermen sought: Mentored Youth Trout Day

M

Mike

Dear SE/SC and some close-by NE Pa Fly Fishing message board members:
In case you haven’t heard, the PFBC is sponsoring a one day Mentored Youth Trout Day on Saturday, March 23, 2013, from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. You can learn all of the details at http://www.fishandboat.com/MentoredYouth.htm and see the list of waters below. As of late last week we had 1,232 adult mentors and 1,667 youth already signed up, and sign-ups are now coming in at a rate of 60-80 per day.

We could use some help with showing mentors and children how to fish. I know you TUer’s out there might jump at the chance to be on the water a week early and show off your fishing skills. I have confidence that other anglers will feel the same way. Sometimes all an angler or his/her mentor needs is a little helpful tip that will turn a poor trip into a successful outing and a day to remember. Please spread the word around your Chapters, organized groups, or among your fishing buddies to see if they would be willing to pitch in some time. This should not only be a fun event for the participants, but extremely rewarding for the volunteers. I've helped kids whom I've never met before along trout streams on opening day and can tell you that it sure beats catching a fish for yourself. If you or anyone you know is interested in helping out, please contact the PFBC's Andy Desko @ 215-968-3631 or for Locust Lake contact the PFBC's Walt Dietz @ 570-477-2206.

On the other hand, if you know a child who could use a mentor for a day of fishing I'd ask you to consider giving some angling time to that kid. For you to participate with a child there is still time to register at the PFBC web site.

Thanks for your consideration.
Mike

Antietam Lake, host: Berks Co Parks
Children's Lake, host: PFBC
Deep Creek Dam, host: Montgomery Co Parks
Doubling Gap Lake, host: Col. Denning State Park
Lehigh Canal, Section 08, host: City of Bethlehem
Levittown Lake, host: PFBC
Lions Lake, host: Lebanon Co.
Locust Lake, host: Locust Lake State Park
Middletown Reservoir, host: Borough of Middletown
Muddy Run Recreation Lake, host: Exelon Energy, Muddy Rn Park
Scotts Run Lake, host: French Creek State Park
Waynesboro Reservoir, host: Waynesboro Water Authority

I signed up my oldest and plan on a day of fishing with him. Should be fun.

Wish everyone the best of luck with their ventures. Hope everything run smooth. Should be interesting to see all of the kids on the stream. Neat idea.

I was just on the Pa fish and Boat web site for the mentor program and seem to be confused. They specify the mentor as father and son, grandfather etc. Also that it is not for persons giving instruction. It even explains what the mentor system is. So if they do not want others to help why are we asking for it. Do not get me wrong. I am all for helping youth but it appears after reading there rational this program is a test program for a more family oriented situation. Also I see to many adults fishing at the childerns area of Boilingspring lake as it is. I believe this could make matters worse. It should not be about how many fish you catch but the time spent with dad and so on.

Back