Steelhead JAM!

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I figured we should start talking about this if it's going to happen. There should not be a problem for me making it due to only a 2 hour drive, but for those who want to stay longer, or coming from a longer distance we should get some plans in order so that if vacation days are needed they can be taken. Also some people may want to stay a few nights and I have heard that can be tough last minute up there.

For the best weather, and conditions I vote for either late October or early November. There will be plenty of fish and they'll be pretty far up by then. Like I said before I have no history of staying nights or being at a campground so someone else will have to step in if we're interested in having a meeting place, or if it's just going to be streamside. Figure we can get people who want to come talking to get some dates in order. Never know with the weather, but we'll probably just have to pick a date and run with it.

It'll be good to see everyone again I met at the JAM and meet some new faces. Also that whole fishing thing shouldn't be too bad either.

I'll bring the donuts!

Ryan Gouldsbarry

Hi Ryan - Late October/early November works for me! I was thinking a poll for the best weekend might be in order. It's gonna be a crap shoot on weather/conditions, but a last minute thing is gonna be tough for a lot of folks to swing.

I'll be making a few phone calls next week on lodging, so we'll at least have an idea on options. I'm thinking anyone that wants to camp out in a tent is a MIGHTY brave soul. Last year on Nov 8 it was almost t-shirt weather. The next day, we woke to 6" of snow.

I've been tying almost every night for this - sign me up for Team Prince Nymph. ;-)

I know of at least two motels with very reasonable rates. Another, more expensive for those who don't "slum it." The time frame you are planning sounds good. I have found that fishing at Erie should always be a last minute decision when possible, but that might not be feasable in trying to get a group together. We'll just need to be prepared for the possibility of less than ideal conditions.

I am in as well.

I have one of my buddies ex girlfriends that lives there I am set.

WOOOOOOOOOO.

I'm in.

Not to be a smart ***, but we should probably schedule it during a steelers game for minimal crowds.

They have a buy weekend of Oct 31, Nov 1 and then play Monday weekend of Nov 7,8, so you'd need to go back to Oct 18, 25 or ahead to Nov 15 to find Sunday games.

For those that are coming from the East and don't want to use vacation days, it seem a Saturday Jam makes more sense, so I'd forget about trying to arrange for a Steeler game concurrence.

For campgrounds...Folly's end is right on Elk creek with a fly shop, convenience store, and a pavillion. Might make for a good meeting point...but no cabins...tent/ campers only.
http://www.follysend.com/brochure.html

KOA is right across from Elk and has cabins. A little better kept...more family oriented...but a little more expensive than Folly's.
http://www.koa.com/where/pa/38112/

Plenty of little dive motels all over west erie.

We've used the Microtel several times. About $70 per night. Clean, central to east and west streams, close to all food options, and on I90 (about a mile from 79) so it's easy to find.
http://www.microtelinn.com/MicrotelInn/control/Booking/search_results?brandCode=MT&searchWithinMiles=50&areaType=1&destination=Erie&stateName=Pennsylvania&state=PA&countryName=United+States&country=US&areaCode=44MV&variant=&checkInDate=&checkOutDate=&numberAdults=1&numberRooms=1&numberBigChildren=0&numberChildren=0&useWRPoints=false&numberRooms=1&resetSession=true

As long as Elk's decent, I love Folley's. Good access, lots of water, and usually not too crowded. If someone can arrange a poll that would be great... (every one I tried never seems to work)

I'm in favor for doing it on a Saturday for the main day, but might be able to swing either a Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday.

Guys,
Really looking to do an Erie run this year. I'm down in SE PA, so its a hike for me. Definitely need to plan ahead and I would expect to be there for a few days, just due to the length of the journey.

Any else in this area interested, carpooling or splitting the room cost would be awesome. I'll check back for further details.

I usually go with a group of guys. I think I did three trips last year. Not sure if we'll have any space left, but I can keep you posted. We are heading up from Philly.

i`m interested,..i like the fri/sat, now i gotta get off my lazy butt and start tying

This sounds to me like a great idea. Although a long time FFer who has been lucky to fish all around the US, I have never fished steelhead. Being a saltwater junkie, steel season coincides with the best surf fishing in the northeast - but this year I suppose it's time I got with the show and went to Erie. The JAM this year was a blast and I'd love to fish with Ryguyfi, JayL, Pcray, and the boys again.

Always looking for a good excuse to go fishing. I'm a pretty sure thing depending on the date chosen.

Here are the weekends around that time. One falls over Halloween. I know some of you have kids and may want to be home for that. Also I fished on Halloween 2 years ago in the middle of the week and it was PACKED. Anyways, we'll see what works best for most people. If we get a split vote I'll go up more than once!!! :-D

All dates are Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Vote for a number.

#1 - October 23rd, 24th, 25th
#2 - October 30th, 31st, November 1st
#3 - November 6th, 7th, 8th

Here's a vote for #3.

Thanks Ryan - I was trying to figure out how to come up with a poll, and this looks fine to me!

I am fine for all three at this point.

Halloween steel would be cool.

any of the three weekkends will work for me

I'm hoping to make it but am a 50% shoe in at best. GRRRRR

Another positive point guys is you are shooting for the archery deer rut season which may keep a few others away. Or in laymens terms the best chance you have at shooting a large buck so they say.

Unfortunately if I don't find one by these dates my heart and soul will be in the deer woods.

I really don't think striving to find a weekend when it will be "less crowded" is possible. I think the amount of anglers depends on weather and fishing conditions. The weekend you really want to be there is the same weekend everyone else does.

Back