HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: PAFF Warmwater Jam/Float - Saturday 8/4/12

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

1wt wrote:
also, i should say that i'm pretty sure that i was the very first to use a "smoke grub 2 1/2" on a 1/32 oz jig head with a UL spin rod and 2lb test line!

May have been the first, but not the only! My biggest two SMB (21" and 20" respectively) came from the middle Susky on a 1/32 oz jighead with a 2 1/2 inch grub tail on it...circa 2005-2006. I'll admit I was using 6lb test on my UL though. Seriously, 2lb test?...I find that harder to believe than the 100 fish days!

Wish I could make this Jam...had plans to make it all year, but we have a wedding that day as it turns out. Good luck guys, and take some good pics.

Posted on: 2012/7/19 7:56

From Etters,Pa
Quote:
sorry for your "pet peeve" but i always caught >100 healthy, beautiful smallmouth bass with a fly rod all summer and fall! every afternoon, rain or shine? i used to post pix every day on "riversmallies.com" i don't mean to brag, but bob clouser would catch a few with his deer hair clousers, while i would catch hundreds with my lead eye olive woolybuggers. marabou is the God sent feathers that rocked my world! this was near the end of the great fishing! also, i should say that i'm pretty sure that i was the very first to use a "smoke grub 2 1/2" on a 1/32 oz jig head with a UL spin rod and 2lb test line! a bass on every cast until i got tired of reeling them in, so i would put on a plug! the susquehanna has changed a lot in the past ten years, but i still manage "more than my share" with my 5wt. i'll be at the warmwater jam (i'll give you a couple flies that will catch any warmwater fish that swims) ....... if i can just keep my mouth shut on the OT forum? LOL a couple guys on this site want to beat me up..... maybe i could wear a disguise?

I hope everyone who is reading ^^^this^^^ this is wearing thier waders because it getting deep in here. LMAO

Posted on: 2012/7/19 13:40

From Delaware Co.
I got my money on Fi . I will split half of my winnings with you if you win Dave. I think 1 wt gets fly fishing muscles when he drinks or is suffering from the good old days syndrome Notice how he always posts late at night .

Posted on: 2012/7/19 15:38

From Gettysburg
Well, anyway, getting back on topic......

Afishinado,
Does the section being floated have any waterfalls, low-head dams, rock gardens etc that would require portaging around? If so, it might be useful for floaters to have a rope at least about 30' long as this makes getting a canoe/kayak over a small waterfall much easier.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 8:15

From North East PA
Really wanted to make this outing, but Mom-in-law's 80th birthday celebration is scheduled in Ohio for that weekend. She's a great lady and I can't miss that.

Any chance of another get-together like this before the summer's out?

Dave

Posted on: 2012/7/20 9:39

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From York, PA
Quote:

May have been the first, but not the only! My biggest two SMB (21" and 20" respectively) came from the middle Susky on a 1/32 oz jighead with a 2 1/2 inch grub tail on it...circa 2005-2006. I'll admit I was using 6lb test on my UL though. Seriously, 2lb test?...I find that harder to believe than the 100 fish days!

the giant "fish kill" was in 2003! if you were catchin' good numbers in 05 and 06, well good for you! i never caught close to 100 bass after 2003.

as far as the 2lb test? i used to do a lot of UL trout fishing back then. i used a shimano stradic on a im-8 ul rod with 2lb triline xl. i am so convinced that a thin line will make any small jig or plug swim and dive in the water, while a thick line will drag and not get the hits.
also, i had much more fun with ul tackle and the medium to small fish. sometimes i would use heavy tackle with a senko, and catch a few hogs, but "big deal"?

in the 80's and 90's the susquehanna had a gravel bottom. there were so many small bass around Perdix, that when i checked to see how my woolybugger looked in the water ........ a small 8" bass would try to hit it so i had to yank my fly out of the water!!

it's hard to believe, but the fishing was really that good! it will never come back, but i was smart enough to go wading with my 6wt every chance i got...... somehow i knew that this paradise couldn't last for too long!

and only late night posting, WTF, it's lunchtime now!

Posted on: 2012/7/20 11:46

Probably a stupid question: After those floating take out, how are they getting back to their cars at the put in spot?

Posted on: 2012/7/20 20:05

From Gettysburg
Quote:

FlySwatter wrote:
Probably a stupid question: After those floating take out, how are they getting back to their cars at the put in spot?

Carpool. Before the float, one or more cars are left at the take out spot to ferry everyone back up to the put-in where the rest of the cars are. This will be coordinated at the beginning of the day.

Posted on: 2012/7/20 21:02

From Chester County

Quote:
FI wrote:
Does the section being floated have any waterfalls, low-head dams, rock gardens etc that would require portaging around?

It's an easy float, no dams, obstructions or whitewater. If the river level remains the same, there should be no need to even drag in low water.

Quote:
Flyswatter wrote:

We will meet up in the parking park & ride and take inventory of everyone - waders and floaters, car pool to the river and have vehicles in the right place at the take-out.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 6:51

OK, got it. Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/7/21 14:58

From Lehighton, PA
It's looking like I might actually be free to attend this event which would be awesome since I've yet to fish the Susky anywhere. Not sure if I'll bring the yak or the one-man 'toon though. Don't think I'll have the new hitch on my truck yet to haul the 2-man up.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 23:20

From Dallastown, PA
Is anyone camping that weekend? I am bringing my 12 yr old daughter and a canoe and hope to camp at a local campground Friday and Saturday night. Definitely float Saturday, maybe Sunday, perhaps near the campground without shuttle. Anyway, I would like to find a campground with others in the group to make for a nice campfire convo.

So what say you....anyone camping?

Posted on: 2012/7/28 0:56

From Gettysburg
I'm planning to camp on Saturday night but this is still up in the air.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 6:39

From Schuylkill County
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Is anyone camping that weekend? I am bringing my 12 yr old daughter and a canoe and hope to camp at a local campground Friday and Saturday night. Definitely float Saturday, maybe Sunday, perhaps near the campground without shuttle. Anyway, I would like to find a campground with others in the group to make for a nice campfire convo.

So what say you....anyone camping?

Hey Maurice,
I'll do the camping thing, bringing a canoe too.
John

Posted on: 2012/7/28 8:04
if you look at it right...

From Dallastown, PA
Prognosis Negative.

I just called the campground and spoke to a nice woman. asked alot of questions. Here is what I learned.
- Susquehanna Shores Campground (linked above on first page). has no primitive sites. $25/nt for two people, water and electric for all. They keep a few sites for canoe and kayakers. Should have several should anyone want to reserve.

- She said the float from Falls to Appletree is a 1.5- 2hour float. I suppose with the fishing we could drag it out a few hours. But she couldn't figure out why we would float such a short stretch.

- She also said that the river is extremely low, kayaks are dragging through riffles, canoes worse. Lots of getting out and push/pulling. The fishing is confined to a one big pool near Appletree road take out. Thats the only pool in the stretch.

- Dogs allowed in campground but no "dobermans, rotweilers, pitbulls, etc" I think Bennie will be OK. Hehe.

- The fishing on the river is poor right now, her regular campers are going to local lakes to catch fish.

So I am not so pumped anymore.....maybe a shorter distance from York, I am on the fence. Still wanna go camp and float somewhere. Maybe the Juniata float we did last year?

Sorry for the downer post, just thought some may like to know.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 12:54

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
30 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com