Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

PA Fly Fishing Museum Grand Opening

From Souderton PA
Is anyone planning on attending the PA Fly Fishing Museum opening this weekend?
http://www.paflyfishing.org/
I'll be tying flys at the event on Saturday and it would be good to see some PAFF folk if your in the area. It looks to be an interesting museum and I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the exhibits. I also understand there is some reasonable fishing in the area I may stay overnight and take advantage of that on Sunday morning.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 21:56

Re: PA Fly Fishing Museum Grand Opening
From Gettysburg
I'll probably be there although just as a guest rather than a vendor (too many other shows planned already).
Dave

Posted on: 2013/4/3 22:23

From Johnstown, Pa
Mike

I also will be tying there on Saturday. Stop over. Looking forward to the event.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 8:09

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
did they move to a different spot ??

Posted on: 2013/4/5 9:52

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

From Dauphin
I am going to show up tom. If I had seen this earlier I'd drive down today. But have work in a couple hours.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 10:46

From Gettysburg
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
did they move to a different spot ??

They have expanded to a different building that is next door to the building (Fairfield Hall) where the old display is located.
The museum is still on the grounds of Allenberry.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 13:34

From Dauphin PA
Is this the group that has the "traveling rod" that gets passed to a selected member? If it is, I went to the big dinner / auction a few times in the 80's. The last one I attended with my fly fishing girlfriend. I was asked not to return because I had brought a woman to their banquet. So.....I won't be supporting that mindset.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 19:44

From Souderton PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Is this the group that has the "traveling rod" that gets passed to a selected member? If it is, I went to the big dinner / auction a few times in the 80's. The last one I attended with my fly fishing girlfriend. I was asked not to return because I had brought a woman to their banquet. So.....I won't be supporting that mindset.

Ummm, probably no. At least not currently. It's a museum organization with open membership and nothing on their webpage indicates that they exclude women. In fact there are pictures showing women at their auction. It's the same group that does the Heritage day event at Allenberry which I have attended with my wife.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 22:31

From Chester County
Quote:

krayfish wrote:

Just show up with Kramer this time.....bringing a woman won't seem so bad to them in comparison

Posted on: 2013/4/6 7:18

From Gettysburg
Great time today! Good to see you guys - will follow up with some pics soon.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 18:44

Quote:

krayfish wrote:

No. It's a completely different group.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 20:09

From Dauphin
I was there and really enjoyed seeing some of the history. One of the guys had an older picture of a brown trout that was all but 50 inches easily. I Cant remember his name either charlie meck or charlie fox. could be way off there but that was the biggest fish i have ever seen.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 23:55

From Gettysburg
Quote:

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I was there and really enjoyed seeing some of the history. One of the guys had an older picture of a brown trout that was all but 50 inches easily. I Cant remember his name either charlie meck or charlie fox. could be way off there but that was the biggest fish i have ever seen.

The photo you saw is the famous pic of Joe Humphrys with his 32" state record brown trout from the 1970s. This is the pic on the back cover of his book. The fish looks much larger than life because it's being held forward to the cameraman.
However, I think most of us had the same reaction as you did when we first saw that picture (at least I did).

Posted on: 2013/4/7 7:57

From down the block from the Letort.
Stopped in after work Friday as things were packing up, then again Saturday morning to take in more of the displays. It's a great little assemblage of trout harassing history, nice to finally see some of Marinaro's rods and gear. PA is rich in it's flyfishing heritage, more so than you may think, really gives you a greater appreciation for those that have come before us. Some nice tackle and gear on display, the opening festivities were nice, picked some brains about net & cane rod building and got to waggle some nice sticks. If only the bank account went deeper...

Then caught the late morning grannom hatch down on the Breeches, Hendricksons didn't quite turn on before I left around 3pm, but I'd had my fill of the crowded creek by then. Brought 6 or so to hand with a grannom on top, nicest was a full bodied wild brown pushing 14", a satisfying catch in the stocked C&R water, good times.

Highly recommend you check out the museum when you're in the area.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 20:49

From Dauphin
Yea dave I saw ya there the brief minute I was there. I had to go to work and my son was being fussy. You were deep in a conversation so I opted not to interrupt.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 9:30

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
125 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com