Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: Lehigh River Stocking Association Poker Tournament

From The Hilton
Ok your right we'll call it 95% come from the truck. Thats fine if you like the fish the Lehigh I could care less just dont insult other "World Class Rivers" but calling the Lehigh one of them. .......I just cant see what people find fun about catching trout that eat anything that floats past them. I'll give you three flies and and I'll row the raft and you can beat up stockies all day. Other then the fish in Ressica Falls the fish in the Lehigh are among the dumbest I've ever fished for. If there is hatch going on 3x and something close will catch every fish you see come up you dont even have to worry about drag.

It is a great smallmouth river though!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 14:36

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

Alpabuck wrote:
Ok your right we'll call it 95% come from the truck. Thats fine if you like the fish the Lehigh I could care less just dont insult other "World Class Rivers" but calling the Lehigh one of them. .......I just cant see what people find fun about catching trout that eat anything that floats past them. I'll give you three flies and and I'll row the raft and you can beat up stockies all day. Other then the fish in Ressica Falls the fish in the Lehigh are among the dumbest I've ever fished for. If there is hatch going on 3x and something close will catch every fish you see come up you dont even have to worry about drag.

It is a great smallmouth river though!

I have never called the Lehigh World Class, someone else might have but it was not me. I do not know what a World class trout stream even looks like to compare. I am also not at the point as a fly fishermen to care about how hard it is to catch any kind of fish, my goal is just to catch fish on a fly pole. In a couple years when I become a fly fishing snob, then i will care if they are too easy or not to catch

Posted on: 2010/8/15 18:45

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

I agree with Alpa that the Lehigh is not world class, for several reasons..... at least not yet. The biggest reason is the absence of a significant population of large wild trout. Wild trout are the key to making any fishery be considered a "blue ribbon" or "world class" fishery. I might even consider fingerling grown ups as getting close.

Unfortunately at the moment, the Lehigh needs to be sustained by stocking. If it weren't for the LRSA's stocking policies (and now the PFBC is finally jumping on board too) there would be a very limited fishery. And all the work going on with the Army Corps, PFBC and DCNR to improve this fishery, would be futile or even possible with out anglers coming to fish this river.

Alpa, there are a few picky fish in this river. But agree, the vast majority aren't that picky. Definitely not like Upper D standards. There might be other reasons the Lehigh's fish aren't picky either, besideds being stockies. Stockies can get picky too after they have been in the river a while. Regardless, this makes the river very enjoyable for many angling skill levels. However, I don't consider catching trout as the goal of my outting....they are just the bonus. I feel fly fishing has a lot more to it than that.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 8:59

From The Hilton
Those picky fish will eat either a size 20 bwo or a size 18 exploding caddis every time!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 9:54

From Eastern PA
They are trying to improve a marginal fishery. Looks like they are starting to look beyond stocking and into major stream improvements such as the Po fish ladder. Just let them do it. If nothing else they are putting on poker tournaments with beer. Donkament + beer > selling fruit. LOL.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 15:30

I hate to disagree but I will. It's world class. One of the few real gems this state has. Quit being a 'hater' Alpa. I also enjoy fishing it when it's above 800 cfs during rafting releases. That's when those large wild Paliminos come out from the undercut banks to feed on deer hair mice.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 16:36

From Bozeman
The finest damn wild golden rainbows this side of jordan creek.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 16:39

Jay,
I think you are confusing Golden Rainbows with Paliminos. Golden Rainbows are a member of the trout family while Paliminos are not a member of the trout family and are filled with corn and magic coins.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 16:48

From Bozeman
Ah... I like tie my flies out of unicorn hair when targeting them.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 16:51

Exactly!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:12

Once again, I have never called it world class, just to clear that up

To all you other A-Holes.....Unicorn Hair, magic coins LMFAO :::::Shaking my head in disbelief::::: you guys are pricless.

O and to Jdaddy... If I did not have to take an Algebra class again in college recently I would not have understood that you were saying poker and beer is greater then selling fruit

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:33

Algebra class? I think jdaddy was trying to say that "a x b = beer and cards" </= (fun)2

I'm pulling your leg about the Lehigh. Fished it once. It was warm and tea stained right below the dam. I caught fish on the first 2 casts. It was OK but it can't be getting managed properly. You can't tell me they use the cold water pool by the middle of June. Here's a tip... stop releasing for ww rafting every other weekend. The fisherman bring in more income to the area anyhow. Run it at 450-500 cfs (from the cold water pool) 6/15/10 to 9/1/10. Should be OK and if the rafters want high water to play in, show up after a gully washer rain or in the cooler months. Ta da!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 17:46

Quote:

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
Algebra class? I think jdaddy was trying to say that "a x b = beer and cards"
I'm pulling your leg about the Lehigh. Fished it once. It was warm and tea stained right below the dam. I caught fish on the first 2 casts. It was OK but it can't be getting managed properly. You can't tell me they use the cold water pool by the middle of June. Here's a tip... stop releasing for ww rafting every other weekend. The fisherman bring in more income to the area anyhow. Run it at 450-500 cfs (from the cold water pool) 6/15/10 to 9/1/10. Should be OK and if the rafters want high water to play in, show up after a gully washer rain or in the cooler months. Ta da!

That algebra soultion makes no sense

You don't have to explain to me how to release that water, you have to tell the ACOE. Those rafters bring a ton of money into the Jim Thorpe area, so who knows if it will ever change. All the LRSA and the LCFA can do is keep up the constant harassment and letter writing.

Posted on: 2010/8/16 18:42

From The Hilton
The rafters want the same thing the fisherman do, MORE WATER! Until people stop bashing them and start working with them nothings going to change!

Posted on: 2010/8/16 20:53

From The Hilton
How is a fish ladder on the PO going to the help the fish in the Lehigh?

Posted on: 2010/8/16 20:55

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
45 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com