Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: If you fish the Tully read this

From West Chester, PA
I guess it is no good then based on what I'm hearing. The 30-40 trout per outing in each of the last 4 years, including Fall season, after the long HOT summers are obviously proof that the fingerlings could NOT survive... or maybe, i know how to fish...? There's a thought...

I guess we'll never know the benefits of successful fingerling stocking now that it has been changed and is loaded with stocked adults, that by the way, draw everybody and their brother to the "stocked" waters...

I hope the commission re-thinks this one b/c they are missing the boat big time! btw, everyone I've talked to stream side so far this spring have agreed with my sentiments... - so I have no idea where the commission was getting it's survey results..

Posted on: 2007/4/10 8:06

TDB :

Tulpehocken fingerling stockings were coming from a supply that was being held each year until the fall for that very purpose, and I think for a few other waters as well. This process can no longer take place in that space in the hatcheries that the "fall fingerlings" occupied is now being used to produce the larger adult trout that the PFBC began stocking this year. So, the only way that remains to have "fingerlings" stocked in the Tulpehocken in the fall is to tap into the spring adult allocation or a portion thereof that would normally be stocked in the Tully in spring. The Tully DH area was formerly being stocked with 10000 fall fingerlings per year. Now, if the fish that would have been stocked in the spring as adults would instead be stocked in the fall as 5-7 in. "fingerlings," they would be stocked in much lower numbers than anglers have been used to, requiring even better survival to provide good fishing.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 9:25

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
TDB :

Tulpehocken fingerling stockings were coming from a supply that was being held each year until the fall for that very purpose, and I think for a few other waters as well. This process can no longer take place in that space in the hatcheries that the "fall fingerlings" occupied is now being used to produce the larger adult trout that the PFBC began stocking this year. So, the only way that remains to have "fingerlings" stocked in the Tulpehocken in the fall is to tap into the spring adult allocation or a portion thereof that would normally be stocked in the Tully in spring. The Tully DH area was formerly being stocked with 10000 fall fingerlings per year. Now, if the fish that would have been stocked in the spring as adults would instead be stocked in the fall as 5-7 in. "fingerlings," they would be stocked in much lower numbers than anglers have been used to, requiring even better survival to provide good fishing.

Yet another spire to the boondoggle we call...BIGGER TROUT/fewer trout.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Posted on: 2007/4/10 9:31

From West Chester, PA
Exactly Maurice. I don't want to rip off this thread but that is not a good excuse for eliminating the fingerling stockings. This bigger trout notion is BS.

There are ways to get fingerlings if people really wanted this to happen. The commission is really dropping the ball here. The fingerling stocking made the fishing better and has to be cheaper for the commission...

Posted on: 2007/4/12 7:28

It may be premature to claim that the fingerlings were superior to the adult stockings. I would like to suggest that anglers spend this spring fishing the Tully; keep track of how many adults they catch from last year's adult stockings; and note their color, size, abundance, and fighting ability. Then formulate an opinion. (The irregular pattern of fin regrowth will likely be a fairly reliable giveaway in many cases as to whether or not the fish originated as an adult or fingerling based upon my catches this past winter. This should be fairly clear to you if you have caught many of the adults that originated as fingerlings in the past). Additionally, you may still catch some small browns, as fingerling browns were stocked in Sept., the result of an unusual availability of these fish in the hatchery system in the late summer of '06.

Posted on: 2007/4/15 22:14

Any news on this situation lately, or conclusions reached

Posted on: 2007/6/21 16:54

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com