Gettysburg and Cumberland Valley - Mini Jam - 8 June 2013

F

Fishidiot

Paflyfish Cumberland Valley and Gettysburg - Mini Jam 8 June 2013

At the Lancaster FF show recently the discussion turned to a Cumberland Valley jam combined with a tour of Gettysburg National Military Park. If you enjoy Civil War history and/or love fly fishing places like Yellow Breeches, Big Spring, or Letort……or would like to learn more about either, by all means consider joining us. If you prefer, you can attend either just the park tour or the afternoon fishing. For the tour, you’ll join me for a two hour drive around the battlefield to key places like Little Round Top etc. There is no fee for the tour. We’ll carpool around the park – due to limited parking space and other issues, the tour is limited to registered PAFF members (and one guest). The maximum that can attend one of my tours using carpool is about 25 people. I doubt we’ll exceed that number but if so, selection will be determined in a manner TBA. There’s some flexibility here. Hopefully, everyone who’d like to attend the tour can do so. (If you have a van or other vehicle that can seat a large number of people, please let me know). The tour does not include access to the Visitor Center’s museum and film/Cyclorama. After the tour, you may certainly stick around for these worthwhile events. This summer is the 150th Anniversary of the battle and the park will likely be very crowded so we will start our tour early in the morning; after lunch, we’ll drive/carpool to Boiling Springs to fish. There should still be some sulphers around in the evening. Although a one day event, if you’re coming from a distance or otherwise plan to stay overnight, lodging this summer in G-burg is very tight – you’ll want to seek lodging around Boiling Springs or Carlisle instead. Drive time from Gettysburg to Boiling Springs is about 45 min.

Here’s the itinerary:

8:15am - Meet at Gettysburg Visitor Center (look for the flagpoles in front)

8:15-10:30 – Tour

11:00 – Meet at General Pickett’s Buffet for lunch (there are several restaurants along this street)

2:00 pm – Meet at “The Run” in Boiling Springs
At this point, we’ll probably want to disperse with folks fishing different areas. We’ll coordinate this and perhaps see if we can get experienced PAFF “guides” to show folks around to the different streams. You can fish as late as you want (no night fishing in special reg areas of course). If some of you would just like to fish, you can certainly coordinate an earlier link up time in Boiling Springs (or somewhere nearby) but the group coming from G-burg will be there at 2pm.

Hope to see yuh,
Dave W

This sounds like a really interesting day. I would like to come and bring my son to experience this. I am really going to give my son the chance to fly fish this year. However, I can not commit just yet.

I had my wife look this over and we might be on the list to come down. Can you recommend a campground? We're tent campers, but would like power available at the site.

Tour? Pickett's for lunch? Sulphurs?

OMG - I am SO IN for this!

Just took vacation to guarantee I'll be there. Thanks Dave!

djs12354 wrote:
Can you recommend a campground? We're tent campers, but would like power available at the site.

The campgrounds immediately around Gettysburg are very large (some are downright carnival like) and many don't offer tent sites. There might be some that do, but I'm not familiar with them.
About 40 min north of Gettysburg (closer to Boiling Springs) is Mountain Creek Campground, which is more remote and should be away from the crowds. There's trout fishing within walking distance.
Mountain Cr Campground

If it were me, I'd check out two nearby state parks: Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace. Both have tent camping but you'd have to ask about power. Caledonia is about 20 min from Gettysburg and about 40 min from Boiling Springs. Pine Grove Furnace is right down the road from Mountain Creek Campground. Both are good locations for a combo Gettysburg/fishing trip. Both these state parks have trout streams on site.

This is scheduled to be our first day of our week long trip to Centre County and we just might have to go west before headin north. Sounds like fun!

I'm in. Marked on calendar and work notified I wont be able to work that Saturday.

I got a van that can seat 5-6 people besides myself. I would willing to show people around the Letort to toss beetles and sulphurs, as long as they dont mind tall weeds, getting stuck in muck and god knows what else ;-)

I'm in. I would like to bring my son as my guest. He is really into all of the civil war history stuff and I have been looking hard for any excuse to spend some time on the Letort, it has been a long time. What a perfect scenario! .............However, swingin' wet flies on the Breeches beside my son would also be cool and probably easier to get him into some fish. Dang, these tough decisions. Thanks Dave, this is a great idea.

Like I said at the show I'm in. This is gonna be great.

I'm in also! Sounds like a fun and interesting day! The is a good excuse to finally see Gettysburg for the first time!!!!

Also in. Be careful where you step!

I would also like to go. Thanks

Just finished booking the campsite at Pine Grove Furnace for the 7th and 8th.

Joy and I are both looking forward to this!

The fishing/tour is a really good idea, I'd be on this but that weekend we will be out of state. Our company drummer boy (my son) will be at the national civil war field music school. I'll be at Gettyburg July 3-6 killin me some rebs.

Just discovered that I put my foot in it, deep. :oops: :cry: We have tickets for the 8th t take our daughter to see Cats. Good thing the cancellation fee is only $10.

Damn, we were both looking forward to this event.

Hope everyone who can make it has a great time.

Might be able to come out and show people around some streams... definitely would like a tour.

Sounds like a good time. Would like to hook up with someone who has some knowledge of some of the smaller streams in that area.

Just a heads up for anyone who has a wife, daughter or any other woman in there life who has an interest in learning to fly fish, Cumberland Valley TU is holding a Ladies fly fishing class that same day. They will be at Allenberry resort right on the Yellow Breeches. I don't have all the details such as cost, number of openings etc., but if you are interested, PM me and I will get you the details.

Thanks,
Matt

Hello, I'm new to the site and am interested in meeting up for the boiling springs portion of the trip. I'm married but my husband doesn't ff, my only mentor is my mom. I'm trying to network to gain more ff experience but its intimidating. Would I be out of place coming to this, I have the gear and a little experience but haven't had the nerve to put myself in a creek amongst experienced anglers.
Thanks for any advice
J

Back