Fly Casting Competition

O

OldLefty

Here's one for ya'.

Hypothetically, there's a fly casting competition including distance and accuracy using a 5 wt. line (wt. forward line with no long belly tapered lines allowed). Distance lane is 10' wide and accuracy target rings are out to 60'.

What would you perceive as one's minimum proficiency level in order to be competitive?

To ease any concerns, there is no fishing involved in this competition.

How many false, slap-the-ground casts am I allowed? Can't answer the question without that detail.

What are leader lengths allowed? I have no idea what ones proficiency needs to be in an event like this to be competitive, because I have never taken part in a competition like this. So I do not know how good other competitors accuracy is usually.

Most importantly, is this faps mouche endorsed competition?

If it's the Hardy competition, you should be pretty damn good. The big kids enter this one.

OldLefty wrote:
What would you perceive as one's minimum proficiency level in order to be competitive?

There's a three guys here who I've watched cast who could give it a serious go.

You're on that list.

60' not a difficult distance, you could do it in a cast... I think you probably have. :)

Dave, please post answers to other questions. Date, time, location, leader length, etc.

gfen wrote:
OldLefty wrote:

There's a three guys here who I've watched cast who could give it a serious go.

You're on that list.

60' not a difficult distance, you could do it in a cast... I think you probably have. :)

So me and Dave. Who is the other one?

Bwhahahaha

O.K., this isn't so hypothetical. CVTU is sponsoring a competition in Carlisle 9/7/13.

The rules are available for view on their website. Max. 9' 5 wt. rod, line as I mentioned in initial post with min. length of 88', wt. forward with no long belly tapers allowed. Leader between 7 and 9 1/2 ' and yarn fly.

Distance lane is 10' wide.

Target rings are 30" inner ring diameter and 54" outer ring diameter. Distances are: first target 20'-25', second target is obstacle target directly behind first target, third target 35/-40' and bonus target 60'. Obstacle target requires that line cannot touch first target when cast to.

There are time limits for both distance and accuracy segments.

Obviously, I haven't listed all of the specifics.

No this isn't a Hardy nor Fips Mouche event.

Don't know anything about a Hardy event. I do believe this competition may draw some of the "big guns" out there.

I have seen you cast with the aerial mends. Pretty sure you could handle the second target. Well.....pretty sure you would be fine on all those targets. I would put your odds at 3-1 at taking it all. Jdiddy would be better with the odds.

SBecker wrote:
I have seen you cast with the aerial mends. Pretty sure you could handle the second target. Well.....pretty sure you would be fine on all those targets. I would put your odds at 3-1 at taking it all. Jdiddy would be better with the odds.

Easy. He will either win or not. 50/50

If you're in the 'pro' class, you'd probably need to be able to hit all those targets and throw 100+ feet of line to be competitive.

At the amatuer level....who knows, probably need to get close on that 60' target and be able to throw the entire line.

Skill level I would say you would need to classed one for the non instructors the other for your professional level casters.

Personally note I would not enter a casting competition. Just not my idea of fun. Give me fish to catch its on!

OldLefty wrote:
O.K., this isn't so hypothetical. CVTU is sponsoring a competition in Carlisle 9/7/13.

The rules are available for view on their website. Max. 9' 5 wt. rod, line as I mentioned in initial post with min. length of 88', wt. forward with no long belly tapers allowed. Leader between 7 and 9 1/2 ' and yarn fly.

Distance lane is 10' wide.

Target rings are 30" inner ring diameter and 54" outer ring diameter. Distances are: first target 20'-25', second target is obstacle target directly behind first target, third target 35/-40' and bonus target 60'. Obstacle target requires that line cannot touch first target when cast to.

There are time limits for both distance and accuracy segments.

Obviously, I haven't listed all of the specifics.

No this isn't a Hardy nor Fips Mouche event.

Don't know anything about a Hardy event. I do believe this competition may draw some of the "big guns" out there.

I'd might give that a try, just do it and see how I do.

Skill level I would say you would need to classed one for the non instructors the other for your professional level casters.

There are different classes as you describe for for this comp, along with women and juniors.

Would really like to be here for the comp, but I'll either be on the way to or coming home from Maine that wknd..

MHanes wrote:

Personally note I would not enter a casting competition. Just not my idea of fun. Give me fish to catch its on!

You just don't know how to cast. All that heavy lead flipping has ruined your mechanics. ;-)

I know it did. Now sinking lines on the lake I can cast them pretty well.

Sounds like a good time Dave are you entering ?

Just go for it. It would be fun.

If someone beats you by a wide margin, no big deal.

You just go home and practice up and "GIT EM!" next time.

Back