Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Fly Casting Competition

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
Skill level I would say you would need to classed one for the non instructors the other for your professional level casters.

There are different classes as you describe for for this comp, along with women and juniors.

Would really like to be here for the comp, but I'll either be on the way to or coming home from Maine that wknd..

Posted on: 2013/6/14 9:37

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

MHanes wrote:

Personally note I would not enter a casting competition. Just not my idea of fun. Give me fish to catch its on!

You just don't know how to cast. All that heavy lead flipping has ruined your mechanics.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 10:34

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Brookville, PA
I know it did. Now sinking lines on the lake I can cast them pretty well.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 15:55

From Delaware Co.
Sounds like a good time Dave are you entering ?

Posted on: 2013/6/14 16:18

Just go for it. It would be fun.

If someone beats you by a wide margin, no big deal.

You just go home and practice up and "GIT EM!" next time.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 20:27

From York & Starlight, PA
gfen wrote;

"60' not a difficult distance, you could do it in a cast... I think you probably have. :)"

Making sixty foot casts, and hitting a target, is by no means a cake walk. I'd venture to say that there are far less than 40% of the Forum members who can accurately throw 60' with relative ease.

If you take the time to actually measure out 60' of line you will see it is a significant distance. Also the ability to throw sixty feet on the grass is far less demanding than to throw that sixty feet while standing mid thigh in the river.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 22:10

From Clinton County, Pa.
Old Lefty and I fish quite a bit together. Believe me, Dave can cast much further than 60 feet and do it with the utmost accuracy. Once on Big Pine I saw him hook and land a trout that was feeding on the surface about 90 to 95 feet away. Not only was the cast accurate but I could not believe he got a good drift and hook set at that distance. Dave I know you don't want me to say it but YOU ARE THE MAN my friend.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 23:14

From Southeastern Pa
PM sent

Posted on: 2013/6/16 0:06

From Da 'Berg, PA
I think that most apart from the 60ft should be pretty easy with a bit of practice.

I have had a go at this, it's something you have to work at but doable with a standard double haul.

My attempts were spot on up to the 45' then I found it hard to judge the distance at 50/55 upwards.

Orvis in Vermont has an obstacle course outside the flagship store which is fun.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 13:58

From United States
First name of Dave, user name of old lefty, fishing on Big Pine, can cast 95 feet accurately. There are only so many people this could be. If this is the papa smurf I think it is he can certainly handle this competition. That is unless I get in, Lol. Dave (oldlefty), if you are going to come down you better come see me... this time.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 7:46
I am of the opinion that there is NOT one single population of wild trout that exists in our great state worth intentionally degrading for the benefit of any fisherman or any amount of money no matter how small the population.

From philadelphia
i love to see old lefty cast!!!

Posted on: 2013/6/18 22:02

From Jersey Shore, PA
According to some my reputation would have me standing somewhere in the 9' tall range. I'm just an average short guy who likes to cast a fly rod. Set someone up on a pedestal and they're bound to fall off.

Yes, I'm thinking of entering the competition and am looking at which line I would consider using. Since long bellys are verboten I have received clarification that any 5 wt. with a head no longer than 50' is acceptable.

Next will be: PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

I would recommend to anyone thinking of competing that the accuracy performance is more heavily weighted than the distance performance.

I feel that, for distance, a competitor should be able to measure casts in the ballpark of 100' consistently. If one can go longer, so much the better.

For accuracy, practice casting to a target ring. This gets the caster used to judging distances to a target flat on the surface. Casting to a target which is upright, such as a cone, is not the same.

BTW, there are a lot of very good casters out there. I've seen a number of them.

If anyone wants to get together to cast, just let me know.
Dave R.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 10:07

The hardest 60' cast is an actual 60' cast.

If you look at your reel and can see backing through the line gaps... you are in the 60+ range

Posted on: 2013/6/20 10:24

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Dave I wish you could make the get together on Saturday. You are always so helpful in correcting my mechanics.

Posted on: 2013/6/20 10:27

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
does this mean I could use a shooting head setup Dave ??? as long as it is a 5 wt. ??

Posted on: 2013/6/20 10:33

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
114 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com