E. Hille Co

E

ehille

We had a fire in the business this morning. No one hurt. Lot of smoke and fire damage, two rooms. We will post updates on our web site. Watch for a smoked chicken feather and fur sale. Ken
E. Hille Co. LLC

That sucks!

Any idea on a cause?

The fire inspectors report says the fire began in the area around a ceiling fan in the restroom. Most likely the fan motor or wiring. Aaron was in the store and used a fire extinguiser to fight the fire and call 911 before leaving the store. He has been credited with saving the stucture from complete distruction.

Glad to hear that the fire was stopped thus saving complete devastation. Being a firefighter, I've seen far too often how merciless fire can be towards anything in its path; it does not discriminate.

It's amazing what can be done nowadays when it comes to removing smoke and water damage from a property that has sustained a fire. Fire damage is obviously a different story, but there is a lot of good technology for post-fire damage remediation.

Most importantly, glad to hear everyone is safe. You can't replace human lives!

wgmiller wrote:
It's amazing what can be done nowadays when it comes to removing smoke and water damage from a property that has sustained a fire. Fire damage is obviously a different story, but there is a lot of good technology for post-fire damage remediation.

Meh. You've been talking to Paul Davis of Lancaster and Complete Restoration too much. Once it gets bad, just let it burn down please. Thanks!

That would be Steve Rotay... ;-)

We both live in modern day tinderboxes covered with solidified gasoline siding. Once they get going, it's off to the races!

Ya, we sure do. ehille, if you have any problems, questions or concerns about the loss when dealing with your insurance company, and need straight answers let me know.

Cindi and I would like to update our customers and friends that we will not be open for business for at least the next month or more, while we decide on a recovery plan with the insurance co. We will not be able to open at our current location. Thanks for all the support. Ken

Ken,
Best wishes to you and Cindi and here's hoping you're back on your feet soon.
Dave W

So are you guys gonna have a fire sale?

I didn't mean my above comment of "firesale" to be fraught with smack-assery. I was curious to know what one does with a gazillion items in a flyshop that has potential smoke and water damage. Morbid curiousity... not being a smack-***.

That is a good question. The insurance adjuster has contracted a salvage company to evaluate our inventory. I guess we will wait and see how that goes before we look at other options.
We moved the office equipment and company records to a temporary office in Williamsport.
I will post an update about the inventory when I know more.
Ken

I was thinking about a downs box. Is there any other places to get one?

There is not. They are the only ones that make those boxes. You might have to wait a few weeks until they are able to sell anything.

mrflyfish wrote:
I was thinking about a downs box. Is there any other places to get one?

That's not absolutly true.

The shop in Waterville has them as well as shops out west (mail order).

However, Hille's has the contract with Mike Down's and they are the assembler and wholesaler (as well as retailer).

I would wait and get it from Hille's, heck they'll even build it for you while you watch.

Hille's doesn't mold the plastic, Mike Downs does. Mike also creates the specialty pins that work in the down's system. All parts are shipped to Hilles and assembled there.

We will not be able to build Downs Boxes for at least the next couple of weeks. Anyone interested in buying one, contact, The Evening Rise, Lancaster, Pa. They have three.
Ken

ehille wrote:
That is a good question. The insurance adjuster has contracted a salvage company to evaluate our inventory. I guess we will wait and see how that goes before we look at other options.
We moved the office equipment and company records to a temporary office in Williamsport.
I will post an update about the inventory when I know more.
Ken

Ken,

That's quite a change from when we spoke. Off site deodorization was not feasible? Heck, I'd like to have a shot at salvage! Tell Craig I will give him 10% over the salvage companies bid.

Nevermind

Slate Run Fly Shop carries and sells the Downs Chestbox too.

Ken:glad to hear damage was light.

I fished with Bill a few times in the 1980s;he also had me up to the Texas&Blockhouse. Hille made me a great 7wt which I still use.

Next time I'm up to Williamsport area ,I'll stop by and say hello

Great memories....
Tom Conigliaro

Back