Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Big Spring Habitat & Management Meeting, Oct. 30

I saw this on another website. Maybe some of you SC PA folks will be interested in attending.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

PFBC to Host Informational Meeting on Big Spring Creek Habitat Project

BY PA FISH & BOAT COMMISSION IN HUNTING AND FISHING
OCTOBER 18, 2012

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is inviting anglers and the general public to an informational meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 30, at Big Spring High School in Cumberland County to learn more about the agency’s habitat and fisheries management plan for Big Spring Creek.

The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. and end at 7:30 p.m. The meeting is free and plenty of parking is available at the school, located at 45 Mount Rock Road, Newville, PA 17241.

“The purpose of the meeting is to present the agency’s habitat management plan for Big Spring Creek using funds provided by the PA Turnpike Commission as mitigation for environmental impacts associated with one of their planned construction projects in Cumberland County,” said Charlie McGarrell, the PFBC biologist leading the project. “We will describe the overall habitat project and will discuss how it will improve the overall fishery of the creek. After the presentation, the public will have the opportunity to ask questions.”

The Turnpike Commission has provided $586,000 for the habitat project, which will be located downstream of a large habitat project completed in 2010 on the creek. The project is currently in the design phase. Construction of the project is expected to begin by next summer and be completed by fall 2013.
------------------------------------------

Posted on: 2012/10/18 16:40

Re: Big Spring Habitat & Management Meeting, Oct. 30

From LV
I heard about this a while ago, but it wasn't finalized. I guess I'd feel it was a great thing if they removed the rainbows from the stream, but I don't think that is an option. PFBC blew it when they had the chance to start from scratch and do it when the hatchery closed. I still don't see how they've restored it to the condition it was before the hatchery was built.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 17:47

From Gettysburg
I'm planning on being there.

Posted on: 2012/10/18 21:26

Clearly, you can't please everyone.

Posted on: 2012/10/19 21:54

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Clearly, you can't please everyone.

I think a great job was done there and I for one appreciate the habitat that favors rainbows. Big Spring is a unique fishery and not yet another brookie trickle. Nice job!

Posted on: 2012/10/19 23:19

From Philadelphia
I will out of town that week but would love it if someone would post a brief summary of what was discussed after the meeting. Big Spring is a creek I want to fish more even if it is about a 3 hour drive for me.

Posted on: 2012/10/21 9:45

Big Spring wasn’t another brookie trickle. It was a world class stream that supported a very healthy population of large brook and bows that didn’t need anything done to it to help it. Too bad most people didn’t know that.

As for the next phase, go for it and complete the transformation into a fishing park. Make sure the design includes lots of plunge pools because you know, limestone spring creeks aren’t supposed to be slow, meandering bodies of water they are supposed to look like fast moving, rolling tumbling mountain freestones. Also, make sure the design includes elevated observation towers to make it easy for people to spot the trout (I suggest shocking the stream and then spray painting the trout blaze orange so they will clearly be visible from the towers). And casting platforms that extend over the stream, include those so people don’t even need to wear waders.

And lastly, make sure there are neon signs with arrows specifically pointing to the lunker structures or other holding areas that may hold large trout.

Glad I fished it extensively when it was a world class natural stream. What a POS it has turned into.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 12:47

From Monessen, PA
Since you aren't interested in it anymore, why so interested in getting your views prominently featured anytime it gets mention on here?

Posted on: 2012/10/22 14:16

These are not my views on what should be done but rather my suggestions on how to make it more easily fishable, which seems to be the intent of the work.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 15:24

From Monessen, PA
I got the sarcasm. But rather than present your views, you basically always simply poo-poo the work that is getting done lamenting the destruction of BS as we know it. And, it seems despite the myriad of knowledgable people working on the stream, only GreenWeenie knows what is best for it. It's tiresome. Anyone interested can go the meetings and express their concerns politely, let us hope. Who knows, they may even learn a thing or two if it is at all possible.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 15:57

Jack, why don't you take some time to learn about trout streams instead of just ridiculing me.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 16:28

From Monessen, PA
I am only ridiculing you for your behavior whenever these BS threads appear. You seem like a lone voice crying out in the wilderness. Is everyone who is working on the restoration/improvements misguided? Why does any objective reader get the idea that you think you, and you alone, know what is best for this waterway?

Posted on: 2012/10/22 16:32

Actually Jack, there are quite a few people who support the same views I support, I just happen to be the most vocal. If you did a little research on the subject and maybe got involved you would realize that it was a group of concerned citizens who didn't buy the PFBC's BS (not the biologists, the administration, the ones who set policy and make decisions, generally not based on scientific knowledge but rather politics - Mike knows exactly what I am talking about but has to plead the 5th and I fully understand) and managed to get the hatchery shutdown and essentially made the PFBC look like incompetent lying buffoons. Why? Well the PFBC's public position was these people were wrong about the hatchery being the cause of the problem but guess what happened Mr. Ill-Informed, exactly what these un-experts said would happen DID happen, much to the dismay of the real "experts" when the hatchery was shutdown (you do know the hatchery discharged unpermitted poisons (diquat and formaldehyde) into the stream yet the PFBC denied it yet internal emails between the PFBC and the PADEP admitted such - I'm sure you are fully aware of that). The stream did exactly as those so called rabble rousers said would happen and it started recovering on its own and turned into the greatest little secret anywhere. I laugh when you and others who never fished the place try and discredit me because it was a fantastic stream - a phenominal stream - you people have no idea exactly how great it was because you never fished it. And the fact that it turned into a world class fishery simply pisses off the experts. This isn't about outting my private little stream it's about f'in up a trout stream that probably had more 20+ inch bows per 100 feet than any trout stream in the world including the D and brookies up to 4lbs. Seriously, you have no idea what was really there and as I said, the stream is still a 9/10 but ir used to be a 20/10.

So how do I know, well these so called experts said the stream held no fish yet for some unexplained reason, I was consistently catching upwards of 50+ trout everytime I fished the stream with probably 7-10 in the 20"+ range. (PREEMPTIVE STRIKE - don't bother saying you're the greatest or whatever trying to use your only defense, which is to discredit me), that's not the point, the point is the experts were saing the stream held no fish yet I was seeing something completely so I guess I am insane and crazy because the experts said nothing was there so what an asshole I am for catching all these fish that they say aren't there. And the reason I may be the only one saying that is simply because I was the only one fishing the place and it is sickening that any so called stream restoration expert would fail to see what was there. I'm not an "expert" yet I found what was there apparantly found what no one else could.

I appologize for being the asshole.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 20:47

From Parkesburg
^^^
This post has more problems than Saddam Hussein... I am not touching it with a ten foot fly rod...lol.

Greenweenie,

What are the oxygen levels like in Big Spring, especially as you move further downstream? Wouldn't creating plunge pools help to oxygenate the water a bit for the trout? I am of the opinion that work needs to be done on Big Spring and then maybe perhaps some regulations can be extended downstream to help protect the fish.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 22:04

Edited by NickR on 2012/10/22 22:58:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Well you must be using a 10'6" pole, because you just touched it.

Posted on: 2012/10/22 22:17

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com