April 28th Floating the Lehigh River

SBecker

SBecker

I know there is some interest in doing a float this Saturday, so I decided to make this post to try to organize it.

Everybody is welcome.

My thoughts are we put in below the Bowmanstown Bridge (rt895). We can meet here at 10:30, and hopefully be on the water by 11-11:15. We then can float to Walnutport. If we hit some really good hatches and it takes us too long on the Bowmanstown-Palmerton Stretch, we can take out at the Gap Nature Center. Easily leave one car there to run people down to Walnutport to bring the vehicles back. I doubt this will be needed.

You can expect varying caddis, hendericksons, quill gordons, and blue quills.

Chime in if interested.

I know for certain I will be floating with 2 other non board members. Would be nice to have a gigantic flotilla.

63 degrees and partially cloudy. light wind as well.

In. I might warm up by putting in at Jim Thorpe at 6am and rowing down to meet ya. I'll be driving a Honda with the vanity plate "mustache wax".

That float doesn't look like it's very far. My map could be off though. Now to find my gear and boat parts.

895-Walnuport bridge is a good float. It would probably take about 5-6 hours if you were just floating. throw in fishing some nice riffles or rising fish and I see us arriving at Walnutport around 6-7.

My mustache is more manly then the box you drive. I can't wait till I shave it off though. lol

SBecker wrote:
895-Walnuport bridge is a good float. It would probably take about 5-6 hours if you were just floating. throw in fishing some nice riffles

Andy doesn't stop at riffles....

Why would I. Riffs are usually clogged up with tools that are going to try and 'grid' an acre of water. You'll never wear out boots because when you hit a riff, you set up a tent.

This is not the Delaware, you will not see many people out fishing the riffles. Most guys will be sitting at the Bowmanstown launch, Palmerton Horseshoe, and Szokes Iron. If you see another 5 guys out I will be surprised.

Would like to push the meet up time back to 11:30. kids baseball game at 10, and they take an hour. That or I can just meet you at the Btown boat launch or we all can just meet up at that launch and save us an hour of floating through rapids. Up to you Kray and Phil.

In those riffs, any slack water on the banks where we might find a few? You know the river, I don't so I'll do whatever you suggest. I put you on fish up on the D so you can return the favor on the "L". Phil got oars? I hope so. I'm not towing anyone down river again. :)

Is there room to park the trailer and squaremobile?

I remember doing a rafting trip there when I was 17-ish. It was sometime in mid-May. As we got later in the day and closer to Jim Thorpe, I do remember seeing bugs and rising fish. I was new to fly fishing so I couldn't tell you what they were but I though...."man, this would be awesome to fish if it wasn't so deep". That was almost 30 years ago and I'm 99% sure those were trouts I saw feeding along the banks in the big flats.

krayfish wrote:
In those riffs, any slack water on the banks where we might find a few? You know the river, I don't so I'll do whatever you suggest. I put you on fish up on the D so you can return the favor on the "L". Phil got oars? I hope so. I'm not towing anyone down river again. :)

Is there room to park the trailer and squaremobile?

I remember doing a rafting trip there when I was 17-ish. It was sometime in mid-May. As we got later in the day and closer to Jim Thorpe, I do remember seeing bugs and rising fish. I was new to fly fishing so I couldn't tell you what they were but I though...."man, this would be awesome to fish if it wasn't so deep". That was almost 30 years ago and I'm 99% sure those were trouts I saw feeding along the banks in the big flats.

Yep I got oars so should be good to go...
There's a boat launch there so you should be good with the trailer and box car.

I haven't floated this section in a while but I know some good riffly runs I took my bike to last year...like my avatar pic

Sweet. After taking the pontoon through cadosia riffs at 3000 cfs, your avatar looks like a cake walk. Lol. Hope we catch some.

Just missed you guys. I bought a used fish cat 9 on Saturday at a garage sale. This meet up is exactly why I bought one. I have been looking at new ones all season, then this one pops up and I couldnt pass up the price. $350 in great shape? Fair deal right? Anyway I'll keep looking for float meet ups and if anyone wants go add me to your list of people with boat. Also its my first boat and it would be nice to get some experience hands on from someone who has learned a little over the years.

Bring it on up to the Catskills. We have a group that will be there 5/4-5/11

Definitely leaning towards coming up. I know Ben the owner of east branch outfitters. I'll check with him and see if I can throw a tent up. Probably wouldn't be able to make it until Friday maybe Thursday night. And i guess I'll have to get my NY license. Also do i need to have a boat permit of any kind. Other then fishing gear, and my boat what else will I need?

Ben has rooms for rent. I don't know if he'll let you camp there. You need a NY license if you are fishing on the East, Beaverkill or upper West. For the middle WB and Main, a PA license is fine.

You need caddis, caddis, caddis. Hendricksons, rusty spinners and olives too.

Back