3rd Annual PAFF Fish N Chips Outing: 26 July 2014

Foxgap239

Foxgap239

I wanted to give everyone a quick heads up about this year's annual Fish N Chips event. The tentative date will be Saturday, July 26th on the Little Lehigh at the Heritage Fly Shop. Mark your calendars. This is a newbie event where we try to get newbies on the water to refine their techniques and into fish. Typically the tricos are hatching and we always need experienced guys/gals to work with the newbies on the water.

For those who may be new to the forum since last year's event, we call this Fish N Chips because after the morning of fishing we have a picnic where everyone brings something needed to have a great picnic. People will be asked to bring supplies such as paper goods, hot and cold foods, snacks, morning coffee, donuts, soda, water, etc.

As we get closer to the event I'll start asking for those who will attend and what they can bring. If you want to bring something but don't know what we need, I can assign you something.

In past years we have had casting and tying demos and I hope we can get some demos again for this year. This is a really great time to get out and meet people who you may only have ever spoken to online.

Please consider joining us, either again or for the first time.

Fox

Can't wait! I'll do sodas and water again...

Count me in - I'll bring donuts at zero-dark-thirty. :-D

I'll be checking the schedule. If I can make it, Ill bring the grill and hot sausage.

D

I'm in with either pasta salad or baked beans and probably some cookies. :-D

I'll do my best to be there! Let me know what's needed fox.

Ahhh ... will not be able to make it this year (daughters vising day). Gonna miss the company, food and fish.

Foxgap, I think I will be able to make it. How can I help?

GenCon

GenCon, I'll be in touch with everyone as the date approaches. Thanks for your interest, it is always nice to have new members attend and get involved.

Im in! Let me know what to bring when it gets closer to date.

I should br there. What can i do?

I'll be there if I can make it,I'll know better come first week of July.

Just put it on my calender at work to make sure im off...and my brother will be joining the site and buying a flyrod within the next week so hell be there with me. When it gets cliser...let me know what to bring and ill be on it! Excited for it.

It's great to see all of this early interest in my favorite outing of the year. Hatches seem to be getting close to their normal schedule now, so I think tricos will be going by this time. Hope for a little rain the night before to slightly stain the water and it will be game on! From a fishing perspective, have plenty of tricos duns and spinners for the morning and then green weenies (although I prefer my inchworm) and other searcher nymphs for after the hatch.

DJS is our traditional BBQ chef and as he states above he'll bring his grill but just in case his schedule doesn't permit him to make it, anyone who has a large grill they can bring, if needed, please PM me. Also, rather than clog up this thread with requests for what to bring, please send me PM's of what you'd like to bring and in early July I'll start a new thread for those attending and what they are bringing so that everyone can see who is coming and what is still needed for a successful picnic. I will tell you this, if you leave hungry, you were either still fishing during lunch or got lost!

Foxgap239 wrote:
...it will be game on!

Ohhhhh, it's already game on. :cool:

How's that new club working out for you Fox?
(picture taken at last year's Fish & Chips event)

Attachments

• fox's new club.jpg
    fox's new club.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 3
And he STILL wears that shirt all the time...

As im very new at fly shopping, what kind of sizes should i be looking at for the spinners and duns and such for this event? I have to start building up by flybox. (ha just as a got a decent box full of blue fox and mepps spinners for spinning lures)

dont have to get too detailed as ill do research for the rest of what i buy, but i just want to know what ill need to catch a bunch at an away game haha

Foxgap239 wrote:
It's great to see all of this early interest in my favorite outing of the year. Hatches seem to be getting close to their normal schedule now, so I think tricos will be going by this time. Hope for a little rain the night before to slightly stain the water and it will be game on! From a fishing perspective, have plenty of tricos duns and spinners for the morning and then green weenies (although I prefer my inchworm) and other searcher nymphs for after the hatch.

DJS is our traditional BBQ chef and as he states above he'll bring his grill but just in case his schedule doesn't permit him to make it, anyone who has a large grill they can bring, if needed, please PM me. Also, rather than clog up this thread with requests for what to bring, please send me PM's of what you'd like to bring and in early July I'll start a new thread for those attending and what they are bringing so that everyone can see who is coming and what is still needed for a successful picnic. I will tell you this, if you leave hungry, you were either still fishing during lunch or got lost!

Tricos as big as 20 ( on the big end) as small as 22, 24 on the more realistic end...mine are usual?y 22's tied lawyer style (thanks to HeritageAngler's tutelage)

FishInPhilly - Unless you get there really early, say before 7AM, I wouldn't worry too much about trico duns. They come off at first light, and a bit later.

The real action is on the spinnerfall. Some sz 24 poly wing spinners, and sz 24 Al's Tricos should be all you need for them. Bring some sz 14 & 16 ants, and sz 12, 14, and 16 beetles along too.

For nymphing, it's tough to beat sz 16 pheasant tails, and sz 12 and 14 green weenies. There's a variation of the green weenie called the honeybug inchworm the regulars use there that works great.

If you can wait until after 9AM to buy flies, the shop opens then, and they have what you need. Their flies are very well tied, and not terribly expensive. We can cover you for flies until the shop opens.

H.A.

This forum has to have about the nicest most caring people ever. You guys are awesome. Ill make sure I have enough to atleast get me a good start. I like to get started early, so i PLAN TO be there well before the sunrise so i can experience all of it. Ill have something together to get me kicking and will definately be stopping at the fly shop also. Thanks H.A.

-Ryan

Heritage-Angler wrote:
FishInPhilly - Unless you get there really early, say before 7AM, I wouldn't worry too much about trico duns. They come off at first light, and a bit later.

The real action is on the spinnerfall. Some sz 24 poly wing spinners, and sz 24 Al's Tricos should be all you need for them. Bring some sz 14 & 16 ants, and sz 12, 14, and 16 beetles along too.

For nymphing, it's tough to beat sz 16 pheasant tails, and sz 12 and 14 green weenies. There's a variation of the green weenie called the honeybug inchworm the regulars use there that works great.

If you can wait until after 9AM to buy flies, the shop opens then, and they have what you need. Their flies are very well tied, and not terribly expensive. We can cover you for flies until the shop opens.

H.A.

Back