2013 PAFF Instructional Jamboree (aka Newbie Jam) - March 16th

Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

Location: The Wildlands Conservancy's Pool Wildlife Sanctuary, Emmaus, PA

Date & Time: Saturday, March 16th, 8AM – 4PM (or later)

Open to the public, free admission.

The purpose of this event is to share the extensive knowledge of some of our members with beginners, and those seeking to expand their flyfishing skills.

Itinerary:

8AM – 8:30AM: Meet & Greet. Coffee, donuts, and spring water will be provided.

8:30 – Noon: Instructional Presentations #1 through #8

Noon – 2PM: Lunch Break

2PM – 4PM (or later): On Stream Fly Fishing Instruction (near the fly shop, on Fish Hatchery Rd)

Presentations:

#1 Gear/Setup - “Head to Toe”
#2 Knot Instruction (hands on)
#3 Leader Setups
#4 Entomology (What trout eat, and their imitations)
#5 Fly Tying For Beginners
#6 Fly Casting Instruction
#7 Where to Fish – Types of Streams, and How to Find Them.
#8 Wild Brook Trout Fishing – Gear, Techniques, Navigation (GPS, MAPS)

We're looking forward to a fun and educational day, meeting new friends, and attracting newcomers to the sport of fly fishing. Come join us!

Directions to the Wildlands Conservancy can be found here.

Directions to the afternoon On Stream session can be found here.

This event is being run by pcray, Foxgap239, and myself. Please consider any response by them as "official". It is indeed an honor to be working on this event with two highly experienced fishermen (and friends).

We're looking for volunteer instructors for Presentations # 1 through #7.

Ideally, we'd like to have 2 instructors for each presentation. Instructors will be set up at "stations", and may feel free to cover their topics as they see fit to. They'll need to supply any visual aids necessary for their presentation. Instructors of the same topic are encouraged to communicate with each other to coordinate their program.

Instructors will likely have to do several presentations during the morning session, and interaction with their students is encouraged. Keep in mind, we'll all be in one big room for the morning session, so we have to be able to instruct all at the same time - ie no "lights out" slide shows.

Please post below if you'd like to instruct at this event. All instructors are requested to participate in the afternoon "On Stream" session - we'll split up and hopefully have small groups of students for each instructor.

Here's the list of presentations, and the instructors already signed up for them - remember, we need at least 2 instructors per presentation:

1 - Gear Setup
2 - Knot Instruction
3 - Leader Setups
4 - Entomology
5 - Fly Tying for Beginners
6 - Fly Casting Instruction (H.A. +?)
7 - Where to Fish (pcray +?)
8 - Wild Brook Trout Fishing (Foxgap239, Delta Dog)

I could do basic fly tying....

Wow! What a great offering! I appreciate you doing this.
I marked it on my calendar; I'll be there!

Maybe you guys can learn me which end of the rod-thingy to hold! :-D :-D

Ed,

Thanks for putting this together and looks like another wonderful opportunity for folks getting started or anyone looking to improve their fly fishing skills. On my calendar.

Dave

Ed,

Slot me wherever you think I can provide help. Janitorial services or the "Don't Do This" demonstrations.....

Time to pay it forward......

Looks like another date to ask off work as i would like to attend as a newbie since the whole trout part is fairly new to me.

Thanks for doing all the legwork H-A. If you guys only knew what Ed went through this year to slot us at Wildlands!!! Been a long time since I heard a grown man cry!! Just teasing but guys H-A went above and beyond to set this up. Great job H-A.

As for those interested in topic #8 regarding Brookie fishing. If you have anything particular you want to see, please PM me or Dog with those topics so we can make sure to cover those things. Whereas we will not discuss particular streams I think it is safe to say that we will try to have website resources you can use to locate and safely get in and out of those waters. Assuming my cell service works, I plan to have my laptop connected to the internet so that we can show you some of those sites and how we use them. I haven't spoken to Dog yet but I'm sure we'll cover flies we use, how we use them, different setups and stream approach and execution.

Sounds like another great newbie jam - kudos to HA and crew for putting this on (again). I thoroughly enjoyed conducting the entomology session last year, unfortunately I won't be able to make the newbie jam this year. Good luck folks. Things like this just keep getting bigger and better.

I can not offer to fill one of the slots, because it is in the middle of the semester and I might be swamped with school. Do not want to sign up for sometching I might have to back out on. However, if I can make it I would be happy to lend a hand wherever needed.

Thanks alot guys for doing something like this for us and all newbies. My son and I will definitely be there marked it on my calendar and cant wait. Thank you

Just found out we'll be joined by UFMGuy. He'll have a table set up with all sorts of maps, gps, and phone app goodies. We'll put him between station #7 & #8 - his products mesh nicely with those presentations, and will make things easier for those instructors (ie visual aids). This is gonna be cool!

Volks - You're in. I'm gonna go out on a limb and put surveyor06 (Andy) with you. Andy always does this station, and even though he hasn't chimed in yet, I'm sure he will.

djs - I'll hold back on assigning you to a station until I talk to da Fox. You're at his mercy. :lol:

Shane - No problem. I'm sure you can guess where you'd be assigned. ;-)

1 - Gear Setup
2 - Knot Instruction (guest instructor +?)
3 - Leader Setups
4 - Entomology
5 - Fly Tying for Beginners (Volksnurse, surveyor06)
6 - Fly Casting Instruction (H.A. +?)
7 - Where to Fish (pcray, k-bob, +?)
8 - Wild Brook Trout Fishing (Foxgap239, Delta Dog, k-bob)

Yea, I can figure it out. It is where I would have signed up at anyways. Lol

Volksnurse wrote:

Or how to break down your rod on stream....................oops, I guess they'd want theirs to work after said breakdown. :p

Foxgap239 wrote:
Volksnurse wrote:

Or how to break down your rod on stream....................oops, I guess they'd want theirs to work after said breakdown. :p

It WAS quite a heart-wrenching *SNAP*... sigh. Lesson learned.

:pint: :pint: :pint: :pint: :pint:

Lookin forward to it. Fox and Delta, we should probably have a "conference" (read, fishing trip) before this event so that we can avoid doubling up on the info. Our stations really could be considered one big station, and we'll try to cover the spectrum of stream types.

I missed last year's but I did make the follow-up. I'll be there this year.

pcray1231 wrote:
Lookin forward to it. Fox and Delta, we should probably have a "conference" (read, fishing trip) before this event so that we can avoid doubling up on the info. Our stations really could be considered one big station, and we'll try to cover the spectrum of stream types.

That works for me and I have a 800 conference number we can use. Let's setup a date and time and I'll PM you guys the pass code. We should probably involve H-A and K-Bob too.

Urggg .. been communicating w/ Ed b/ I was looking forward to this and my sons Bday party was scheduled for that day. Wife was really cool when i told her how badly I want to head up and tried to move it to Sunday but we are having a problem with one of the vendors. We are trying to move it to later in the day. Hope it works out b/ there are four topics I really want to work on and even if I can get up there for 2 – 3 hrs w/out the lunch or afternoon fishing I know it would be beneficial and nice to see everyone.

Any newbie 50/50 on this event words can’t explain what a great day it is. In 2011 I received a bunch of equipment from my dad who tried FF for a day and I joined this forum abt 1 week prior to last years event. The guys notified me abt it and it began my journey into the wonderful world of FF, the really good group of guys who run this Instructional Jam (as well as other newbie stuff) and on this forum in general. Really hope I can pull off something and get up there for a few hrs.

I could prolly come on help out where needed. I do things a little unconventionally so teaching my bad habits to beginners is prolly not a good idea. Maybe the gear setup?

Back