"Top Trout Award?"

F

Fishidiot

Seeing Alby's football brown in today's report got me thinking...

Might a PAFF award for "Top Trout in 2010" (or something similar) be worthwile? I enjoyed the photo contest last year - maybe this year we could add a category for vote: the "top trout." Perhaps, this could be a vote by forum members on what they consider the best trout from a photo submitted to PAFF this year. To qualify, the trout would have to be caught FFing here in PA in 2010, by a registered forum member, on waters open to free public access. Of course, we'll take forum members on their word if they don't want the stream identified. I think it ought to be limited to brook, brown, rainbow, palomino, and tiger trout - no steelhead. The criteria could be whatever the voter finds appealing. It doesn't have to be the biggest fish, although this would count, but also unique coloration, story behind the catching, or whatever.

Is this a good idea? What do you think?

I like it. I won't win because I suck, but I do like it.

Great idea, Dave. My money is on Squaretail.

I'm game...let the fishing begin!!!!

im in im sure between Lititz Run and Squaretail's "Gods Gift" i can hold up a trout for a pic thats worthy :p

Gods Gift doesnt seem to fit the criteria to me. Its not like Lititz run. Its not "No trespassing", but I also am not supposed to spread the word, even though words been getting out.
Neat idea Dave. I can only imagine some of the pics that would show up.

Sounds like a good idea to me!

PaulG

Do they have to be wild fish?

Fishigit i owe you a high five, great idea.

I want to add a wild trout only rule

Fred, I don't think yours is wild.....and I am not sure when they are that big that it is easy enough to tell. Or should I say, easy enough to convince others either way. No offense....nice fish.

When did you catch it? Big Spring closed in 2002 ish. I'd say that fish was one of the last hatcherie escapees. Brown trout reproduction in Big Spring is very low.

Mo he doesn't count because he was caught October of 08 so I would think he is a wild fish . I caught him in the special regs area below the ditch but I tell people ditch so they know the area were I caught him not the exact spot .

Fred in 2007 the stream survey at Big Spring found no brown trout fish under 16". I would say that based on this report and the 2005 report showing the progression from 2000 of year classes that brown trout are not and were not reproducing in Big Spring Creek with any significance.

Just sayin....

The day that I caught that fish there was a guy from the PFBC surveying for brown trout spawning and he said they shock the special reg area the week before and found 5 browns over 20" in the one section were the small pond is below the bridge which was above were I caught that fish.

Just saying ...........

C'mon Fred, it's a stocked pelleted pig that ate your green weenie laced with "Yum!"

http://www.yum3x.com/attractant.html

Yeah I know...thats what the report says....all browns from 16-23 inches ....all left over from when the hatchery closed. Only like 4-5 browns found in the survey. all big.....none small to indicate reproduction.
Big Spring 2007 report

just sayin' :)

thats all I have to say about that. Forrest Gump

Live Prey Technology- now, I have heard of everything.

What you just posted was right in line with what Mo posted?

I dont see a trout that was born in the stream when I look at your picture either, but that couldnt take a whole lot away from that fish. That was magnificent and I remember it from when you first posted it.

Mo just has fish envy :lol:

Just saying.........

Back