Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

little lehigh

From schuylkill county, pa
fished the section arround the shop. fished from 10-12. landed 3. one on a zebra midge, 2 on BWO. lots of fish rising. on my second catch i was bringing a rainbow to shore, just as i was getting ready to reach down with my net to get the fish, a big bird appears and grabs the fish and flies away. thank god the fly came out by itself. never seen that before. the guys arround me got a good laugh.

john

Posted on: 2007/2/20 15:51

Re: little lehigh

From Lehigh Valley
Could have been worse - the Cookie Monster could have swiped your lunch! Seriously, was the bird a heron, or possibly an osprey? There used to be a couple of ospreys down there, but I haven't seen them for a long time. Herons, on the other hand, are there all the time. A video of your encounter would have been priceless!

Posted on: 2007/2/20 23:51

Re: little lehigh

From Southeast PA
That must have been awesome! Something to remember forever. It sounds like you're lucky he didn't catch a bit of your hand. Or he could have gotten tangled in your net. I'm assuming it was a hawk, because I couldn't imagine a heron coming in and taking a fish like that (but those damn things are everywhere nowadays). This could become a regular thing there, if he gets used to the idea of getting an easy meal that way.

Posted on: 2007/2/22 10:42

Re: little lehigh - hawk or heron?

From chester ct
cdog - I have seen a hawk patrolling that fly shop area. One day it was on a branch right over the bank run tearing apart a little gray rodent. Someone saw the hawk snatch the little critter from the opposite bank.

Anyway, there was a nice trout directly underneath eating the chum from the bits of rodent the hawk dropped.

tl
les

PS - didn't have an appropriate matching fly. Maybe a Fledermaus with lots of Gink? I might have gotten a piece of skin and fur from the bank and threaded a hook through it - would have been the right dubbing and color for sure, but would that have been bait ffishing?

Posted on: 2007/2/22 14:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com