Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

donegal creek fly rainbows! mar 12

From lancaster county
i decided to hit donegal today. i wanted to fish more of the old no fishing zone. while i fished about half of the whole project, i found there just isnt many fish left in it.
i did manage,i think, to land to wild bows and a wild brown. this alone made to trip worth while. but i did have something funny happen.
there has been a few times in my life where i had a fish hooked and he has outsmarted me. i love this and relish these senerios all my life.
today one of the bows did this. at donegal there are electric fences that are extremely powerful. i had one such fence behind me. i hook a bow that made a run as fast as it could right for me. now bows are known for leaping. it jump right out of the water at me. he hit me in the chest, for some reason scaring me, so i lunged backwards. of course my arse hit the fence then zapping me.and OUCH! i threw my arms forward throwing the fish back in the water. in all the hub bub he managed to get off the barbless hook and had escaped. the fight and release lasted about four to five seconds! new record i think. now while most wont belive this i think he tried to do this. probably took practice also. so if anyone had a trout at donegal do this, speak up! i like to think he did anyways.....no one was there. to bad because it probably look funny as heck. one thing is for sure, i wont forget. the next time a fence is behind me i wont fall back!
i think he was wild....didnt notice any par marks while he was flying at me with 10,000 volts running through buttocks.
anyways got them on globugs, copperjohns and a bugger.
what a day!

Posted on: 2007/3/12 18:17

Re: donegal creek fly rainbows! mar 12

From lancaster county
oh yeah, did i land that fish or does that just count as a hooked and missed fish?

Posted on: 2007/3/12 18:20

From Allentown, PA
I would say that he/she landed you!! Thats an amazing story!

Posted on: 2007/3/13 8:10

Whoah! Be careful out there Sal!

Too bad you don't have video footage. You could have put it up on YouTube and you'd be famous.

I've never had a fish jump out of the water and crash into me. I've had a few encounters with electric fences, though. Some of them are pretty low voltage and just scare you a little. My grandfather would take these wires in his hand just to impress us kids, and he said that it was "good for the rheumatism."

But some of them are cranked up high enough to burn through weeds that touch the fence. We called these "weedcutters." These hurt.

When we were kids, my brother and I were wading down a little creek in sneakers, not fishing, just messing around. My brother bent down to walk under the electric fence. His feet were in the water so he was well grounded. And he didn't have a shirt on.
He didn't bend low enough, and he bumped the wire with his spine. It knocked him down headlong into the creek.

No serious injuries, but I think it made his hair curlier.

Posted on: 2007/3/13 10:41

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Whoah! Be careful out there Sal!

Too bad you don't have video footage. You could have put it up on YouTube and you'd be famous.

I've never had a fish jump out of the water and crash into me. I've had a few encounters with electric fences, though. Some of them are pretty low voltage and just scare you a little. My grandfather would take these wires in his hand just to impress us kids, and he said that it was "good for the rheumatism."

But some of them are cranked up high enough to burn through weeds that touch the fence. We called these "weedcutters." These hurt.

When we were kids, my brother and I were wading down a little creek in sneakers, not fishing, just messing around. My brother bent down to walk under the electric fence. His feet were in the water so he was well grounded. And he didn't have a shirt on.
He didn't bend low enough, and he bumped the wire with his spine. It knocked him down headlong into the creek.

No serious injuries, but I think it made his hair curlier.

I don't care who yare...tha deres fonny.

Posted on: 2007/3/13 21:49

Oh, so that's what they mean by wild trout! That's a HOOT!!

Flyman

Posted on: 2007/3/16 19:10

I've had some shocking experiences at donegal as well. First time out with a fly rod and I wasn't quite used to having 8.5' of metal in my hands... Well I was climbing over one of those fences and let my rod droop a little... and bam! felt like I got smacked, i didn't know what the heck happened at first... Good times!

Posted on: 2007/3/30 12:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com