Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Young Womans, Clinton County,9/30

I was able to break free and head up to camp in Potter this weekend. Weather was nice, High 60 mix of sun and clouds and no wind. With the opening day of bow season I knew I would have the streams to myself. I checked the streams around camp and they are still pretty low. The water gauges told me to drive south. On the way I saw the largest flock of turkeys in the middle of the road I had ever seen. Their were at least 40 birds, a turkey jamborie. Is that common? Before a could get my phone out to take a pic, they had all skittered up the hillside and into the brush.

YMC (C&R) area had good flow and color for this time of year. Same alot of Tan caddis milling around the streamside brush. I started out dry but switched up to a stonefly nymph. I took 7 fish out of the first pool.
Mostly rubber rainbows but did manage (1) 10" wild brown. Took many fish all rainbows, the biggest one being 18".
The fish of the day was a drop dead gorgest 15" wild brown.
The C&R section still holds alot of the stockies that survived the summer.

I was struck at how poorly most of the rainbows fought. Strike, pull,flop-flop, pull in like a dog on a lease. even the 18"er. I will take the fight of wild fish any day. I still fish this stream because of its beauty, but its nothing like a remember when I first started fishing the area. This stream used to hold tons of wild fish. Travesty

Posted on: 2012/10/1 11:38

Re: Young Womans, Clinton County,9/30

From Lancaster Co.
Thanks for the report. One of my most memorable fly fishing days ever was a beautiful spring day on YWC pre-stocking. Caught fish after fish (all wild) on an Adams Irresistable. Think that was the last time I fished it before they started to stock and it's been several years since I was up that way. Like you said - travesty.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 12:00

I wonder how the amount of fishing usage has changed since they began stocking it again. Increased? Decreased? About the same?

Does anyone know?

Posted on: 2012/10/1 12:47

For what it counts, I fished it twice in May and yesterday. In those 3 times I bumped into 2 other anglers and they were both together yesterday. Other than that not a soul. Also they fish I caught yesterday did not look beat up (clean mouths no sores). A couple had Heron scars but thats it. It almost became boring catching the same cookie cutter 12-14" stockies. No size class, no fight, no mystery.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 15:46

From Bucks County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
I wonder how the amount of fishing usage has changed since they began stocking it again. Increased? Decreased? About the same?

Does anyone know?

I can tell you we no longer fish YWC or Cross Fork since they started stocking. Traveling 4 hours to fish for stocked fish just wasn't worth it. The decision to stock these is truly a shame. The good news is we had the opportunity to fish both years ago and have great memories of both.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 16:28

From LV
I don't know anyone personally that fishes YWC since they began stocking it again, I won't go there, and I won't go into Renova and spend money either.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 19:50

From Greensburg, PA
i still fish it. its still nice water even if the fish are bigger and stocked. Sure I liked it better when it was "wild" but that changes nothing about the creek itself. Renovo is the only town near our camp. We go to town when we need stuff.

The trick, Chaz, is to not put your nose so far into the air that you bend completely over backwards and end up with your head up your @$$.

Posted on: 2012/10/1 20:20

From Clearfield
Fished it this spring. Hooked wild and stocked fish.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 14:06

From Johnstown, Pa
Did a guide trip there last week on Mon, Tues, Wed and had a great trip. Having a camp over in the Cross Forks area makes it pretty easy to get over there for a day. Been fishing the stream for years. I always thought it fished much better when there was just wild fish in the stream. But since the stocking a few years back it has seemed to drop off a little. Hated to see them start stocking again and the same goes for Cross Fork Creek. I guess someone else thought the stocking would make it better. The other thing that has hurt them is the droughts the last couple of years. But all an all there still good streams and they always seem to bounce back.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 8:20

From Carlisle PA
All you purists and wild trout snobs keep staying away. It gives those of us who enjoy fly fishing for trout be they stockers or not more access to the streams!

Thanks Guys!

Posted on: 2012/10/3 18:13

From Clinton County, Pa.
I still fish YWC from time to time. The country and the water are beautiful. It is nice to catch wild trout but even with the presence of stocked fish I will continue to fish it in the future.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 19:36

From SW PA/Tioga
I have never fished YWC but my son and I fished a tributary on the same day (9/30). We found mostly smallish brookies.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 10:13

Haven't been back since 1963 but will always have fondest memories Of YWC.
My first ever opening day on a Pennsylvania trout stream.If I remember correctly left Wilmington about 1 and got there in time for the opening.Reason I picked YWC was because it was farther away from cities than any other.
Perfect launch to my fly fishing career.
Why ?
Because I sat on the wing of the bridge at the end of the fly fishing area and using a size 12 white marabou streamer ,I caught 32 STOCKERS,lovely,beautiful STOCKERS,every one of them a STOCKER.
Moved on to Montana and a reasonable guess would be I caught around 10,000 trout but those STOCKERS were sure fun for a rookie to catch,,,,,lol

Posted on: 2012/10/6 20:07

From Harrisburg
Dear Pete,

Thanks for your post, for it demonstrates once again for all to see that while you are never short of opinions you are always short on the facts.

They quit stocking it in 1982 as part of Operation Future. It became a much better stream only to be destroyed in favor of keeping the knuckle draggers happy.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/10/6 20:50
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

well aware of the facts- just thought it was funny some one ran into stockers 50 years ago,but was just a kid starting out and it was a big thrill not a bummer.

Posted on: 2012/10/6 21:22

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com